Default Winchester Model 1890 Deluxe

Many years ago my wife found this 1890 (22 WRF cal) in a garage and she saved it for me. It has many nice
    features from the front sight to the tang sight, checkered pistol grip stock. I had to replace the take-down
    which was broken and a small screw in the lower tang. bore is not bad

The other day the sunlight was just perfect and I was able to capture the fancy grain walnut stockP1010015_0015.jpgDSCN2464.jpgDSCN2461.jpg
    Last edited by RCS; 02-26-2018 at 02:50.

My wife's accountant showed me one in .22 Short that had been handed down to her. You could see that the receiver had once been nickel plated and there had been a pretty nice piece of wood on it; broken through the wrist and "repaired" with what looked like JB Weld. No tang sight but the barrel sights shot to POA. Bore looked like a sewer but it shot well at 25-30 yards and functioned perfectly.
    Neat old relic.

3. Default

Deluxe M.'90s are extremely rare--I mean 2Gs rare, maybe more depending on cond. Well worth obtaining a factory letter (about $75) from Winchester Museum in Cody, WY.

leftyo Guest

1890's in any model is about my favorite rifle ever. can only imagine how nice that one was new!

5. Default

Saw my first Winchester Pump as a kid, when the family went camping along the Kern River for a couple of weeks of trout fishing. Neighboring camp had the pump & a couple of guns, so a bunch of us (I was about 13 years old then) went over to a nearby dump the neighbors had earlier 'salted' with their best leftovers & garbage. The ground looked like a moving fur carpet - more rats than we had ammo. I used Dad's "new" Ruger MkI bull barrel to take my fair share of rats out.

The Winchester pump didn't have a trigger disconnector, so you could fire as fast as you could pump. They had an old bandaid box marked "Bullets". It was a conglomeration of shorts, longs & LR's all dumped together, & they just loaded whatever shook out of the box. At 25' the ammo mix didn't matter, every shot took out its' target. They apparently didn't know how to clean it, so Dad showed them how to disassemble it for cleaning - something I remember the this day.

Years later I worked with an old guy who had a Winchester 92 & claimed it had never been cleaned - belonged to his Grandfather. I took it home for the 4th of July weekend & cleaned a ton of crud out of it. It looked beat, battered & ugly, but could hit anything I could see. From that moment, I vowed to someday own one.

The little Crossroads show across town from me had a show over the weekend, and like every other show, the table with all the Winchester Pumps was right there down the aisle from the show entrance. It's always there & every time I'm compelled to go look. But at the $500 -$1200 price tags, I knew that owning one would be in another lifetime.

I decided to look at Rossi Pumps instead. Found one in nearly new condition & it hadn't ever been cleaned. It was now MY turn to show the owner how to disassemble it for cleaning. I ended up bringing it home for a fraction of what one of the Winchesters were tagged at. Looks like brand new, with just a couple of minor wear spot thru the bluing. Only time I had to shoot was last nite in the back yard. I loaded it up with some CCI full-length CB Caps & plinked a couple of steel cans with it & some other old junk ammo I had. It all hit point to aim.

So, it's not a Winchester, but it performs to the level I recall of the long ago Winchesters.
    Last edited by AZshooter; 03-12-2018 at 04:38. Reason: spelling

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AZshooter View Post
    The Winchester pump didn't have a trigger disconnector, so you could fire as fast as you could pump. They had an old bandaid box marked "Bullets". It was a conglomeration of shorts, longs & LR's all dumped together, & they just loaded whatever shook out of the box...
    That would have made the gun something other than a M. '90, which lacked cartridge interchangeability; maybe a model 1906 or 61. Frankly, however, I think Rem's model 12 was the best of all the pump .22s.