Default Trying to find veteran of Bringback...?

I have a MosinNagant carbine that I believe is a bringback, probably from Korea, if possible??
    It has a Sgt's rank and name painted on it along with what we think is a serial number. A friend tells me he thinks it is Korea War era because of the serial number.
    Might anyone know of a way to find something out about this man??
    The writing is worn and getting worse but it would be interesting to track down.
    Thanks

I have a Rem. 720 rifle, Sec. Navy trophy with a Marine Gunny's, name on it. I would like to find the same, but do not know where to begin.
    You can never go home again.

Dave, first I would try the NRA. Since it is a trophy rifle his name would be in their records most likely. They might also have listed his home town. If that is available do a search of his name for that location. If not him, it might turn out to be a relative.

Brad, try a internet search of the name. Also contact the his branch of service, they may be able to give you directions as to possibly find him. Try VFW groups for instance.

If you happen to get a general location, look up the county property tax records for the name. That may work.

Hope this is some help to the two of you. If you would like some help, send me a PM with their names and I will try and see what I can come up with.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.

Family Tree Now is a free search site that also searches military records. I was able to locate WW II enlistment data about my father and one of his two brothers that served.

https://www.familytreenow.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMOhio View Post
    Dave, first I would try the NRA. Since it is a trophy rifle his name would be in their records most likely. They might also have listed his home town. If that is available do a search of his name for that location. If not him, it might turn out to be a relative.

Brad, try a internet search of the name. Also contact the his branch of service, they may be able to give you directions as to possibly find him. Try VFW groups for instance.

If you happen to get a general location, look up the county property tax records for the name. That may work.

Hope this is some help to the two of you. If you would like some help, send me a PM with their names and I will try and see what I can come up with.
    The match the rifle was won at a
    had nothing to do with NRA. It was an interservice match, 1979, So. West pacific area. Would just like his general service record, like years served, rank attained, etc. Nothing personal.
    Last edited by dave; 03-17-2018 at 11:40.
    You can never go home again.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    I have a MosinNagant carbine that I believe is a bringback, probably from Korea, if possible??
    It has a Sgt's rank and name painted on it along with what we think is a serial number. A friend tells me he thinks it is Korea War era because of the serial number.
    Might anyone know of a way to find something out about this man??
    The writing is worn and getting worse but it would be interesting to track down.
    Thanks
    Request the service record from NARA. If he stayed in past 1956, it is unavailable except to next of kin. Hope it isn't among the 80% that burned up in 1973. Good luck.

https://www.archives.gov/veterans/mi...e-records#cost