Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rock Island cartouched stock with S on muzzle end.

I have asked this question before, maybe not here, but I don't think that I have ever gotten an answer.
    I have a Springfield 1903 made in 1910, and it has the proper single bolt stock.
    Problem is, the cartouche says CN1910. That means the wood was cartouched at Rock Island and is probably not the original stock.
    There is an S stamped clearly on the muzzle end of the stock.
    The rifle has a 1919 barrel, so it was rebuilt after WW1.
    This is the way it came to me. The total wear of the rifle and wood is such that the stock appears to be the one applied at the time it was re-barreled.
    I can see the stock being replaced and being nearly correct for the rifle, however not original due to the re-barreling, but there is the S stamping.
    Was Springfield making stocks for Rock Island around 1910?

IIRC - The "S" on the stock tip signified it was made as a standard "S" type Stock (and not an 'altered' stock adapted for the .30-03 barrels which were shortened at the breech and re-chambered in .30-06).

I use to have an all original 1913 Rock Island model 1903. It had a "CN-1913" cartouche (Conrad Nelson) and the "S" stamp on the forearm tip. It had nothing to do with Springfield Armory.

It sounds like your stock was 'reused'.

Quote Originally Posted by 11mm View Post
    I have asked this question before, maybe not here, but I don't think that I have ever gotten an answer.
    I have a Springfield 1903 made in 1910, and it has the proper single bolt stock.
    Problem is, the cartouche says CN1910. That means the wood was cartouched at Rock Island and is probably not the original stock.
    There is an S stamped clearly on the muzzle end of the stock.
    The rifle has a 1919 barrel, so it was rebuilt after WW1.
    This is the way it came to me. The total wear of the rifle and wood is such that the stock appears to be the one applied at the time it was re-barreled.
    I can see the stock being replaced and being nearly correct for the rifle, however not original due to the re-barreling, but there is the S stamping.
    Was Springfield making stocks for Rock Island around 1910?
    No. Springfield was not making stocks for Rock Island around 1910. All Rock Island stocks up through 1913 were marked with a large "S" on the fore end tip. Your rifle's stock is not the least bit unusual in that regard.

J.B.
    Last edited by John Beard; 02-16-2018 at 07:05.

Quote Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
    No. Springfield was not making stocks for Rock Island around 1910. All Rock Island stocks up through 1913 were marked with a large "S" on the fore end tip. Your rifle's stock is not the least bit unusual in that regard.

J.B.
    Thank you. So the S evidently has nothing to do with Springfield Armory.

Quote Originally Posted by 11mm View Post
    Thank you. So the S evidently has nothing to do with Springfield Armory.
    Springfield Armory stocks up through 1910 were also marked with an "S" on the fore end tip. The Springfield Armory "S", however, was 1/8" tall whereas the Rock Island "S" was 1/4" tall. The difference is quite noticeable.

J.B.

6. Default

Springfield Armory stocks up through 1910 were also marked with an "S" on the fore end tip. The Springfield Armory "S", however, was 1/8" tall whereas the Rock Island "S" was 1/4" tall. The difference is quite noticeable.

J.B.
    But why was that particular letter chosen? For "standard"?

Quote Originally Posted by clintonhater View Post
    But why was that particular letter chosen? For "standard"?
    When Army Ordnance adopted the Model 1906 cartridge (.30-'06) in October, 1906, they had in excess of 200,000 new rifles chambered for the Model 1903 cartridge (.30-'03). Part of the adoption deliberation process required that a satisfactory method be developed to modify existing rifles to the new caliber. They could hardly afford to scrap 200,000 new rifles. The developed modification method required (among other things) that the stock be shortened 0.2" to maintain compatibility with the Model 1905 bayonet. The new shortened stock was designated as "Type 'S'" and the stock's designation was stamped on the fore end tip as a convenient method for visually confirming that a stock had been shortened.

J.B.
    Last edited by John Beard; 02-17-2018 at 04:59.

8. Default

The new shortened stock was designated as "Type 'S'"...
    "S" for short, I'll assume.

Quote Originally Posted by clintonhater View Post
    "S" for short, I'll assume.
    Your guess is as good as any.

J.B.

10. Default

Were all the small S marked stocks altered or was the practice of marking the stocks with the small S just carried through on newly made stocks up until 1913?