Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Quote Originally Posted by Griff Murphey View Post
    Jon:
    I have the utmost respect for you; I do detect little tinge of "I don't own any so it's not my problem." The Washington Navy Yard shootings were done basically with a duck gun, likely so were the Aurora movies theater shootings as Holmes' AR-15 jammed with his 100 rd. drum mag; although AFAIK the full post event details have never emerged. I think a Winchester 92 would be equally a great "assault" weapon for a horrific murder, let us not forget Whitman killed 34 with bolt action sporting rifles. And... the vast majority of murders in America are done with handguns. The idea that confiscation (even if it were to be possible which it is, as you say, NOT...) would prevent all mass killings is just plain ludicrous, I'm with you on that.
    15 Australian backpackers were killed by arson in 2015. They still have massacres, look up Australian massacres on google.
    For years when I hunted turkeys with my AR-15, I used a blocked 5 rd. mag; not to be more "sporting," but to ensure deliberate fire. Now that we sometimes see hogs I usually put 7-8 in a 20 rd. mag. No sense in carrying unnecessary weight.
    Griff, I think that if I hunted hogs I would want a semi ... probably the Ruger .44 carbine. The Heller decision left state and local government a lot of leeway on regulating firearms use and ownership, outside of an outright ban. Why I think gun laws will continue to be state laws.

Everyone thought Obama was going to push for federal gun laws. Didn't happen, because he wanted to use his political capital on healthy care. After the 2010 midterm he didn't have enough votes to pass anything.

Trump says he is for a national gun law on Wednesday, gets his chain yanked on Thursday and now he says it's up to the states. That's how politics works.

Have a good weekend!

jn

I actually have a story about that. I hunted hogs on a game ranch about 25-30 years ago and was hunting with a Browning copy of an 1895 Winchester in '06 using 180 gr. Soft points . Being Mr. Safety I was carrying it with nothing in the chamber so there were 4 in the gun. Shot one offhand 75 yards and he went down. Then he got better, got back up, and charged. Shot #2 and he's coming hard was a miss. Shot 3 knocks him down again and again he gets up. Shot 4 finally ended it with him about 15 feet away. My buddy filmed it with my old full size vhs camera. I wish I could find that tape. He's saying "He's chargin' ya Murph and yer runnin' outa shells!"