Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default eddystone barrels

found a JA pristine barrel
    Last edited by milboltnut; 03-17-2018 at 05:50.
    For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

I would not be surprised if your search for an original new barrel is fruitless. They could not find enough during WW2 and had to contract with Johnson Automatics to make new barrels for the 1917 Enfield's. Your best bet is to get a new commercial one
    and have a smith install it.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...st-1917?page=4

Try these guys. They show new repro .30-06 barrels in their M1917 parts list.

well not new... I'll settle for used, LOL A friend of mine seems to find excellent barrels but the only problem is they belong to the rifle. He just picked up an Eddystone with an 18 barrel.
    For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Another option might be to see if it's possible to have a sleeve installed in the original barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    Another option might be to see if it's possible to have a sleeve installed in the original barrel.
    I looked into doing this about 20 years ago . . . .

I asked a few barrel-makers if they could do this . . . . as Springfield Armory did, way back in 1866/67 . . . and was told NO!

Their reasoning was, the lined barrels would not stand the 50,000 lbs. of pressure.

Seems odd to me . . . With today’s technology, I would think it could be possible.

When I got off the phone, I figured they were just not interested.
    Last edited by JimF; 02-15-2018 at 05:11.

found a JA barrel.... in excellent condition.

There was a place in Texas that relined (sleeved) barrels, but that was several years ago. Can't find a link to their website. You'd think it would be a good business. The collector gets to keep the original appearance of the barrel, and can still fire the weapon.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

I think I found a friend of a friend who has connections... finding out tonight for the resource on Eddystone barrels in good condition.

You would have to buy an Eddystone and take the barrel off it.

That is tough as best is to cut the barrel. In this case the receiver.

Criterion Sells replica barrels. Its rare to get a 1917 original barrel and if you do, the reason is it was take off there was something wrong with it, (shot out, blanks an no throat or just did not shoot)

WWII saw the mfg of JA, RI and HS barrels. You can find those, far higher price than a CBI barrel and the CBI barrels are first rate mfg that will likely exceed WWI or WWII.