Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I found one guy who has ONE JA barrel... and was talking to a collector tonight at his house mentioned he has to dig a little to find out who has them. But he knows they're around. They show up on e bay once in awhile.

Another reason to take off a barrel and it doesn't necessarily mean they were bad.... is that they were sold for parts. Buy a 17 for 300 to 400 back in the day... with rearsenaled parts, good barrel: bore, throat, muzzle... and turn around and sell them for parts... and make 3 times the amount of money. Think about it.
    Last edited by milboltnut; 02-16-2018 at 07:53.
    For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

If anything, according to Dick Culvers write up...changing tooling wasn't feasible during WW2.

All that taken into account, it seems that when the M1917s were refurbished during WWII and
    needed a new barrel, Ordnance went with a more conventional rifling. The standard replacement
    barrels were made by High Standard Manufacturing with a 4-groove right hand twist as opposed to
    the original left hand twist, or by Johnson Automatics (manufacturer of the M1941 Johnson Rifle)
    with 2-groove barrel with a right hand twist
    Last edited by milboltnut; 02-18-2018 at 05:21.
    For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

3. Default

They used to show up regularly. I have a eddy take off barrel that is in about new condition. 11-18 dated. Dark park original finish

I bought a JA from oldguns.net shipping out Monday....excellent shape, 125 + 15 shipping + 5 CC fee.....

Hopefully a friend of a friend will find a eddy take off for me too. Then I'll ebay the JA.
    Last edited by milboltnut; 02-22-2018 at 08:52.

Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    You would have to buy an Eddystone and take the barrel off it.

That is tough as best is to cut the barrel. In this case the receiver.

Criterion Sells replica barrels. Its rare to get a 1917 original barrel and if you do, the reason is it was take off there was something wrong with it, (shot out, blanks an no throat or just did not shoot)

WWII saw the mfg of JA, RI and HS barrels. You can find those, far higher price than a CBI barrel and the CBI barrels are first rate mfg that will likely exceed WWI or WWII.
    JA barrel cost me after shipping $145...

CBI is 200 +...

the reason is it was take off there was something wrong with it,
    How about a bad receiver...

shot out
    why would someone try and sell a shot out barrel? Anyone with sense wouldn't just buy a barrel without checkin it first... at least a visual check. And even if the throat and muzzle is not the best or worse it's still capable of shooting good. The thing with most is they want steller accuracy, which is fine but not necessary. In MY case the bore is beyond what I should have seen from the get go...and I should have known better.. ya live ya learn. 2 groove Remingtons A3's can be misleading when you look down the bore, if you don't know what one looks like...and that's what I thought I was looking at.. in a sense.

Now let's consider this throat issue and its real effect on accuracy. As the throat wears a little, or it was too far forward when new, yes, you have more "bullet jump". Does that really effect accuracy when in small amounts? What about in larger amounts? That's a debatable subject at best. Consider for a minute the M1 Garands the Navy converted to 7.62MM by putting an insert in the .30-06 chamber. Think about that bullet jump. Some of these rifles shot very well in spite of the rifling starting about a half inch forward from what conventional wisdom says it should. Wow, a 500 reading on the throat gage. Think about that one. Actually it doesn't work quite that way and the gage reading would only be around a 7 or 8.
    I don't think overthinking or overdoing is quite that necessary.
    Last edited by milboltnut; 02-23-2018 at 04:33.

just found a Winchester, dated 18 barrel, so yes they are out there.