Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Remington to file for bankruptcy?

I suppose this comes as no surprise. With a Republican president and congress the fear of communism is gone for now so people aren't buying up firearms. The firearm industry is in a downward spiral from the record sales during the obama years.

Remington, America's oldest gun maker, has a lot of debt and optimistic future sales are lacking.

I wonder if Remington goes down if Marlin will go with it or someone else will pick up the torch and run with it.

https://247wallst.com/consumer-produ...ruptcy-filing/

2. Default

Rem isn't merely the oldest gunmaker, it's the oldest corporation in US. Absolutely tragic, if true. Last Rem news I heard was they were building a new plant in the south.

Aren't modified Rem 700s still the standard US sniper rifle? Every cop-car used to carry a Rem 870, but I guess all those have now been replaced by the free M16s provided by DOD.

leftyo Guest

remingturd has been in a downward spiral for 20+years. IMO this has little to do with the buying patterns of the last 5 years or so, and much more to do with the bean counters and the quality of the products they toss out the door.

I'll say this -- Remington rimfire ammo sucks. It's so bad I refuse to buy Remington centerfire. Who wants to have a 7X7 bull elk in his crosshairs and hear a "click!"

Rimfire and center-fire are two different manufacturing processes. Maybe your rimfire gun needs a good cleaning? Bah, why let insufficient data stand in the way of a pet conclusion.

My 1187 Waterfowl 12Ga is a great performer BTW, never fails to feed, shoots consistent patterns.

Dallas, TX metro.. formerly Phoenix metro, AZ

Rem isn't merely the oldest gunmaker, it's the oldest corporation in US. Absolutely tragic,
    Well, look what happened to the auto industry.
    Look at Mopar..... it was Chrysler, then Daimler-Chrysler, then Cerebus investments, then FIAT and now their is the rumor mill that they will quit making cars and only make trucks.
    Look at Cincinatti Milacron who used to make darned good machine tools!
    I worked at a company back in the early 80's and we had three 10 vertical milling machine centers (10vc).
    the best one was 1981, then an 82, then an 83.
    the been counters cut the hydraulic pump on it. So when the ready tool arm would go to grab the next tool, you would have to program in a "dwell" on the tool that was currently cutting or it would leave marks as their was not enough hydraulic pressure to do both!!! So, now you got 32 tools with a 1 second tool change time and you increase that to 8 seconds ..... multiply that times 32 tools and that number times the number of parts in a day!!
    You just LOST money.
    I worked at a major manufacturing concern (international 8 billion a year corp) and they bought all Komatsu machining centers. You got a CAT 50 tool holder instead of a CAT 40 on the Cincinatti for the SAME dough. and NO dwell times.
    I think Cincinatti milacron is gone.
    I worked in engineering 30+ years and I watched 26 companies go bust or move out of the country. Then some DUPA in personnel would ask me "why did you have so many jobs?" DUH OH!
    I thank GOD every day that I am retired!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My job now is to HAVE fun. Went out shooting the M1A WED and was hitting in the black offhand at 100 yards. First time I've fired a 30 caliber in over a year due to gettting a triple bypass.

7. Default

Remington rimfire ammo has always worked for me, in my Ciener Conversion units it gives me 100% reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawknj View Post
    Remington rimfire ammo has always worked for me, in my Ciener Conversion units it gives me 100% reliability.
    Same here.

I have a misfire perhaps every 400-500th round regardless of manufacturer. Historically it seems people fault Remington 22LR ammo and praise CCI. I can't tell any difference except that the Remington brand is about 1/3 the cost. I have 36 bricks now, most of it being Remington.

Unless things have changed I have found that Remington and Federal produce the most accurate center fire factory ammo. Winchester being so ridiculously inconsistent that you can hear the difference between the rounds as they are fired, most of which would not even hit the target.

I'm sure everyone has a different opinion though.

leftyo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Same here.

I have a misfire perhaps every 400-500th round regardless of manufacturer. Historically it seems people fault Remington 22LR ammo and praise CCI. I can't tell any difference except that the Remington brand is about 1/3 the cost. I have 36 bricks now, most of it being Remington.

Unless things have changed I have found that Remington and Federal produce the most accurate center fire factory ammo. Winchester being so ridiculously inconsistent that you can hear the difference between the rounds as they are fired, most of which would not even hit the target.

I'm sure everyone has a different opinion though.
    id agree that we probably all have different experiences. last remingturd centerfire ammo i ran over the chrono had a 300+fps variance in the same box. from tight 1/2" groups one box to patterns the next.

10. Default

Complaining about their ammo is trivializing what's potentially another immense loss to the American shooting community. To me, it still seems "impossible" that Winchester is no more--that vast industrial complex in New Haven, thousands of workers, all gone.