Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Default Got Me Another USMC

I can't help myself. Looks good to me. Pouring rain out so the pics aren't that great. A lot of dried out packed in grease in all the corners. I may not clean it? Strange stamp on pistol grip? What do you guys think?

Last edited by Punch the Clown; 02-11-2018 at 07:11.

Blog Entries

Good find. Definitely Marine or Navy.
    Last edited by Roadkingtrax; 02-11-2018 at 09:10.

3. Default

Thanks Tim

Wow!
    Really nice photos too. Really nice.
    Last edited by Fred; 02-11-2018 at 01:06.

Is that an early inlaid platinum line running vertically through the peep sight? Wow!
    Yes, Please, Do clean the grease off of this rifle. There's nothing collectible in old dirt packed filthy dried grease.

6. Default

Fred, I don't see any insert in the sight. Trust me, my neurosis tells me to clean it while another side tells me to keep it as is. The indoor flash doesn't do it justice. It has that weird park color which caught my eye right away. I have 3 other what I thought were Marine Corps rifles that received the forums blessing. I hope this one will too.

Looks like a near new one. Was the butt plate peened by someone for grip or was that factory?

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Looks like a near new one. Was the butt plate peened by someone for grip or was that factory?
    Peening seems to be a trait of Marine Corps rifles.

Would the A A D indicate this rifle was a rebuild from the Augusta Arsenal and the D represent the inspectors name ? Also would the HO 16 indicate the bolt was installed around 1942-43 time frame? Just asking not implying...

john
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN COOK View Post
    Would the A A D indicate this rifle was a rebuild from the Augusta Arsenal and the D represent the inspectors name ? Also would the HO 16 indicate the bolt was installed around 1942-43 time frame? Just asking not implying...

john
    Looking at the rifle I would guess that it has seen at least 2 rebuilds in its career. One in 31 or 32 and another during or after WWII. (Obviously just guessing) The HO bolt, the replacement sight, 03A3 shroud, firing pin, stacking swivel, the Hatcher Hole, the Remington handguard and the AAD stock suggest that to me. I'm waiting for John Beard, cplnorton, Rick the Librarian and a couple of others to weigh in.
    Last edited by Punch the Clown; 02-15-2018 at 07:20.