Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Winter Olymics (Warning: Geezer rant!)

I know I'm not the only one not taking a liking to this "nation neutrality" or whatever the local talking heads prefer to call it. Most of us don't sit glued to the TV all day long at home. Give us something to turn towards the TV and cheer for. PC and Kumbuya aint cuttin' it.

I LIKE seeing national colors and flags on the snow boarders. I LIKE seeing Yanks and Chinks and Polacks etc. all shaking hands then competing hard against one another out on the field of play.
    I can surely do without the athletes all waving and wrapping themselves in flags. It's often seen as taunting anyway, but I do miss seeing who is competing ALL THE TIME. I certainly don't want to watch a hockey game where both teams are wearing grey. Put the flags back on the shoulders and the national team codes on ALL uniforms where we can see them.

While I'm at it, Baseball. In the same vein I'm sick of players all wearing Mariano Rivera's number 42 on Jackie Robinson day as well. Put Jackie's number on the team hat instead of the regular team logo, or a large 42 on the sleeve or shoulder. I like to know 'who's on first' without the misguided assistance of guys like Joe Buck & Co. (the volume is usually off).

That's it so there. Pffffft!
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

2. Default

Ought to compete as individuals, as was done in ancient times--idea of "competition," "medal counts," between countries of vastly different sizes & populations is idiotic. Maybe also there'd be less incentive to dope. And no excuse for the silly bombast of playing national anthems, etc.
    Last edited by clintonhater; 02-10-2018 at 01:19.

The more I've been able to see, it appears that some teams are showing their national pride on their uniforms. Good! I thought the entire Olympics was going the neutral route at first.
    Medal counts? The USA hasn't got any....yet. That will change

Funny thing is that it is only in the winter Olympics that I watch many of the sports which are represented. These are some wonderful young athletes doing a terrific job, especially given the pressure they are under.

I salute all these folks.

The young American snowboarder won the gold and it was great to see the comradeship between the athletes.

KTK

Someone help me out. Why would ANYONE get excited about SOMEONE ELSE playing a game?

Now you want to go skydiving, scuba diving, backpacking, hunting, fishing, trail riding with pack horses or similar sports, I'm your man. I can understand why I would want to participate, but why would I waste my time watching someone else do it?

Aww c'mon Vern. You're going to ruin baseball and auto racing for me too. *sniff*

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Humphrey View Post
    Someone help me out. Why would ANYONE get excited about SOMEONE ELSE playing a game?

Now you want to go skydiving, scuba diving, backpacking, hunting, fishing, trail riding with pack horses or similar sports, I'm your man. I can understand why I would want to participate, but why would I waste my time watching someone else do it?
    For me it is the appreciation of the effort and god given talent that these folks exhibit. To be the best in the world does not come easy. I too enjoy what you list (or at least I have, although the next time I jump out of a plane it will be on fire).

I also enjoy the sportsmanship that so many of these young folks exhibit, try to remember they only get a crack every 4 years and very few of them are making large coin.

KTK

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Ken The Kanuck View Post
    ...very few of them are making large coin.

KTK
    Maybe not, but they're being supported by grants & subsidies in something they enjoy doing, as opposed to working everyday at a job they hate--like me, for many yrs.; nobody needs to cry over their hard life. Cry over the hard life of vets learning to live the rest of their lives in wheelchairs, without hands, etc.; no front-page photos, no TV adulation, no product-endorsement contracts, for them

Living near the "Olympic Village" of Lake Placid, NY, I get to read almost every week in the local paper about the millions of TAXPAYER dollars poured into the training facilities they are provided by this state. Upgrading the old luge run, for ex., cost 30 million several yrs ago; easily a billion on all the other venues over the last 20 yrs. And this is only one of dozens of Olympic training facilities all over the country that WE pay for.

I really miss the free world vs the commies in the games.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

Quote Originally Posted by clintonhater View Post
    Ought to compete as individuals, as was done in ancient times--idea of "competition," "medal counts," between countries of vastly different sizes & populations is idiotic. Maybe also there'd be less incentive to dope. And no excuse for the silly bombast of playing national anthems, etc.
    As long as they take money from the USOC, they belong to America, not themselves. If they want to go freelance let them pay their own way.
    Read, think, UNDERSTAND, comment