Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1899 Receivers

Default 1899 Receivers

Does anyone remember reading or hearing of any 1899 receivers being issued as rifles?

2. Default

No

3. Default

The believe the Model 1899 were dressed up with a sling on a carbine stock for the Philippine Constabulary Carbine . Model 1899 were used to make up for "school rifles" in the States. If i recall some were altered to take a bayonet, ,,, but i have never heard of full size rifle with a Model 1899 receiver,

Where is Bill Mook when you need him? It seemed in my fogged memory that I read somewhere years ago that a limited number of rifles were issued on 99 dated receivers. Trying to strike up some discussion.

5. Default

Since there were a few 1898 receivers over struck 1899, seems unlikely 1899 receivers were used to make rifles. But you never know...

6. Default

A year or so ago there was a lively discussion concerning 1899 carbines with serial numbers in the over 400K range. I recently bought one on these but returned it on condition issues. Wonder why these receivers were produced that late and if they were ever just used to replace damaged receivers or actually made into carbines (or rifles)?

Scored an 1892 Krag at an auction today. Action unaltered. correct stock, cleaning rod missing but channel not filled, correct front band and cutoff. Installed an 1892 bolt. just nee an extractor,and bolt sleeve and safety. Oh ya and a rear sight. has a 96. Serial is only 102 digits off from last one I owned.

8. Default

Might leave that 1896 style sight, especially if it is the early style with the “lug”. I have seen a number of good 1892 rifles, even early one, that have the later sight. There are Krag people with data to suggest this is a Springfield upgrade.

- - - Updated - - -

Which handguard is on your rifle?

Question: What do you mean by "lug"?

The early version of the model 1896 sight had a pronounced hump or lug on the leaf at the pivot. This disappeared on later production of the model 1896 sight.

krag 1896 hump-ed.jpg