Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    My point was that the media does not know what an armor piercing bullet is. They described a tracer but stated that the rest of the bullets would follow the trail of fire as if they were automated to do so.
    Allen, I understand and appreciate your post.. What I was trying to point out is there are a lot of "gun" people that know a lot about ammunition but don't have a working knowledge of the law. I once "reloaded" ammunition and sold it. I obtained a letter from the BATF that said what I was doing was not "manufacturing." If you buy ammunition from Wally World and sell some of it to your neighbor, you are not breaking the law. The big difference is you are not "in the business."

One has to have the correct license to make and sell any king of ammo that can be used in any firearm.
    That is a misleading statement. What is "making ammo?" If you reload a muzzle loading rifle, have you made "ammunition?" If you pull a FMJ bullet from military surplus ammunition and replace it with a soft point projectile, are you "making ammunition." If your neighbor reimburses you for the bullet, powder and primers you use to reload a 100 rounds of .45ACP for him, are you going to go to jail for not having "the correct license to make and sell any king (sic) of ammo."

If that were the case, a lot of people here would be doing time.

If what I read and heard on FOX, he is not a person of interest. He has been charged for manufacturing AP ammunition without a license and selling it. I agree with RED, if you don't have the correct license you will be charged ,it's just that simple. You can battle this subject back and forth for the next week and he is still charged and will go to court. He stated that he didn't know the shooter was going to use them in the manner that he did. That statement will not get him very far in a court room. He has his tit in the wringer.

john
    Last edited by JOHN COOK; 02-04-2018 at 02:48.
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

leftyo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RED View Post
    Allen, I understand and appreciate your post.. What I was trying to point out is there are a lot of "gun" people that know a lot about ammunition but don't have a working knowledge of the law. I once "reloaded" ammunition and sold it. I obtained a letter from the BATF that said what I was doing was not "manufacturing." If you buy ammunition from Wally World and sell some of it to your neighbor, you are not breaking the law. The big difference is you are not "in the business."

That is a misleading statement. What is "making ammo?" If you reload a muzzle loading rifle, have you made "ammunition?" If you pull a FMJ bullet from military surplus ammunition and replace it with a soft point projectile, are you "making ammunition." If your neighbor reimburses you for the bullet, powder and primers you use to reload a 100 rounds of .45ACP for him, are you going to go to jail for not having "the correct license to make and sell any king (sic) of ammo."

If that were the case, a lot of people here would be doing time.
    if you assemble components into ammunition and sell it, you need an ffl to be legal. the fact the very many dont, and arent caught, nor the laws enforced, doesnt change the law. much like the illegal aliens, just because they can swim across the riogrande doesnt make it legal.

Watched FOX and they either corrected or knew it was tracer. And no BS about the next bullet following the "trail".
    You can never go home again.

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    Watched FOX and they either corrected or knew it was tracer. And no BS about the next bullet following the "trail".
    Thanks. At least they listened to someone who said "BS".

2 days ago the local FOX news station which is very liberal here in the Mobile area announced that someone had stolen an M16 from a Mobile PD cruiser. They showed a typical file picture of this "evil bad boy" with the little scope, front grip and light. Instead of referring to it as an M16, not available to the public, they said it was a fully automatic AR-15. In their feeble little minds they are trying to persuade everyone that all AR's are machine guns.

Before you might ask. I only watch their program for the morning traffic report that the other stations do not provide.

"...APTI..." The 'I' means incendiary. That's evil everywhere. Last time I looked on the ATF's Laws by Regulation site, it said 7.62NATO AP was evil because there are handguns chambered in .308 Win. .30 AP ammo is fine though.
    Proper and correct mean the same thing.
    The entire case sounds a lot like the Powers That Be are looking for somebody to blame and found one.
    "...the media knows virtually nothing..." Yep. And they have no qualms about making stuff up either.
    Spelling and grammar count!

The entire case sounds a lot like the Powers That Be are looking for somebody to blame and found one.
    "...the media knows virtually nothing..." Yep. And they have no qualms about making stuff up either.
    I don't think the FEDS have to make up stuff in this case. It is known that Mr. Haig (sp) the manufacturer's name was found on the ammo box in the shooters hotel room and they have his prints on the ammo and the box they were in. Any law enforcement officer seeing the boxes not labeled Remington,Federal, or some other known brand would more than likely look up Mr. Haig and look into his activities. This information can be seen on NBC site and ABC, CBS and FOX. Get the facts as they are shown before posting.

john
    Last edited by JOHN COOK; 02-04-2018 at 10:18.
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

A good friend police officer and very excellent 3 gun champ pointed out that .308 (7.62) ammo is considered by ATF to be PISTOL ammo due to the single shot handguns available, and therefore 7.62/.308 AP is prohibited as "armor piercing pistol ammunition." A likely scenario is that the seller made up some 7.62 /.308 AP using pulled .30'06 AP projectiles and that is the basis of the charge. Of course we do not have all the facts yet (if we ever will...) in the case.

The media has no technical knowledge of firearms and their articles concerning guns amount to childlike blather, at best.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    My point was that the media does not know what an armor piercing bullet is. They described a tracer but stated that the rest of the bullets would follow the trail of fire as if they were automated to do so.
    That's what it showed in Roger Rabbit!

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    "...APTI..." The 'I' means incendiary. That's evil everywhere.
    API in 30-06 is not illegal by federal law - though it may be illegal in some states of smaller jurisdictions. The CMP sold 30-06 API a while back - as it also sold 30-06 tracer and AP. There was much discussion on the CMP Forum about NOT pulling the 30-06 bullets of those flavors and putting them on .308 Win cartridge cases.

Gunbroker has quite a bit of API for sale - mostly caliber .50.
    Last edited by bostonbound; 02-05-2018 at 12:51.