Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by clintonhater View Post
    Who goes up against an AK with a Sig, Glock, or any other handgun. I'd like to know how many US servicemen have had to defend themselves with ANY handgun.
    I used a handgun (a personally-owned Colt M357) twice in Viet Nam. A friend of mine crawled into a VC base camp and shot several NVA in their spider holes with an M1911A1.

2. Default

When you insist on having the newest, as opposed to the tried and true. A 9MM-nothing wrong with an M1911 in 9MM, with the steel frame, firing 9MM rounds is like firing 38WCs out of an N-frame S&W. Want a wondernine ? The Browning HP. Proven track record, easy to field strip.

In reality the use of hollow point ammo is not outlawed by the Hague convention or any other for that matter. Exposed lead in any form is, like a soft point but an HP that has no lead showing is not banned at all. In fact the military has been using HP ammo now mostly in sniper rifles. But the likes of ISIS having been hopped up on drugs makes the use of ball ammo problematic. Not so much with the new HP rounds. A Browning Hi-Power was and still is a versatile sidearm. Nothing wrong with it for sure.
    Last edited by Tuna; 02-02-2018 at 06:39.

leftyo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    In reality the use of hollow point ammo is not outlawed by the Hague convention or any other for that matter. Exposed lead in any form is, like a soft point but an HP that has no lead showing is not banned at all. In fact the military has been using HP ammo now mostly in sniper rifles. But the likes of ISIS having been hopped up on drugs makes the use of ball ammo problematic. Not so much with the new HP rounds. A Browning Hi-Power was and still is a versatile sidearm. Nothing wrong with it for sure.
    the key thing is bullets designed for expansion is what is bad, the HP sniper ammo is open tip match ammo, not designed for expansion. it may expand or it may not when it hits.

5. Default

As Jeff Cooper might saying, owning a fine handgun no more makes you a shooter than owning a violin makes you a musician. How much training do military personnel get today?
    And going against some armed with an AK when you have a handgun. Not the best choice but beats feet, fists and foul language.
    Last edited by blackhawknj; 02-02-2018 at 07:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    In reality the use of hollow point ammo is not outlawed by the Hague convention or any other for that matter. Exposed lead in any form is, like a soft point but an HP that has no lead showing is not banned at all. In fact the military has been using HP ammo now mostly in sniper rifles.
    JAG might tend to have a different opinion. In '06 we spent several weeks not being able to use M188LR ammo because a JAG thought that the open tip was a hollow point. It took personnel from the AMU at Benning to come to Iraq and explain/demonstrate that the open tip IS NOT a hollow point and DOES NOT have anything to do with the expansion of the round as a hollow point does and a review of a previous JAG determination to clear up the problem. The open tip has everything to do with accuracy and nothing to do with expansion. While the Hague Convention does not prohibit "hollow point" bullets, it does prohibit expanding tip bullets, which we commonly refer to as hollow points.
    I dream of a better world. One where chickens may cross the road without their motives being questioned.

Yes but also remember we are NOT a signee of the Hague Convention. While we have observed it we have not signed it. And in fact the military has already signed off on the use of the Hollow Point ammo as a standard issue as long as there is no observable lead exposed. It does appear to be a very thick jacket on it and it will aid in the accuracy of the round. But I am wondering about the new ball ammo they keep talking about. I wonder if it's like the one I think Federal developed where it is not a hollow point but it does expand when it hits the target. This one they are having problems with in the new pistol.

This pistol buying is political in the worst sense of the word.

Though I have owned several M1911 pistols and still shoot them; I am not a huge fan of the M1911 pistol. I believe it is somewhat outdated today. However, nobody is going to win a war today because they have a better pistol. Buying a bazillion new pistols every time the old lot gets some age on it is wasteful and unnecessary. If the Army had converted existing stocks of M1911 pistols to 9mm and bought new ones as the old ones wore out they'd have saved the taxpayers a lot of money now and in the future with no real fall off in the performance of the average guy with a pistol.

On the size question there are a bunch of pistols designed for the 9mm cartridge that to me are oversize for the cartridge, the late departed M9 pistol and the CZ75, both good weapons come to mind.

On the subject of personally owned weapons - our son is one of the many who wished he could carry a personally owned handgun on his trips to the sandbox and his TO&E allowed him to carry an M4 Carbine and an M9 pistol.
    Last edited by Art; 02-03-2018 at 08:20.

Think of all the taxpayer money wasted on changing from the 1911 to the M9, all the testing and research, now the Sig which has problems. They could have just stayed with the 1911 till something better, more reliable, stronger, simpler, lighter and cheaper came along, which will probably never happen. Parts for the 1911 are plentiful and cheap too.
    Last edited by Allen; 02-03-2018 at 09:07.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Think of all the taxpayer money wasted on changing from the 1911 to the M9, all the testing and research, now the Sig which has problems.
    Sure doesn't seem proportional to military needs, given the rare situations in which they are used. But, got to keep that old military-industrial complex well oiled with tax money.