1. Default Civil War question

Anyone have information about a monument west of Frederick MD marking the spot where one of Berdan's sharpshooters ah, "interrupted" a Confederate (general?) officer eating breakfast across the Potomac in Virginia? I remember hearing something about it when I was a kid but can't find any referrance to it.

Whose Civil War? Your's? It was a Union General named Sedgwick, not a Confederate. And
    https://www.battlefields.org/learn/a...-john-sedgwick
    There are monuments all over the place near Frederick though. Which one?
    Frederick MD
    Spelling and grammar count!

Sunray, I take it you're not a Yankee?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John Peeff View Post
    Sunray, I take it you're not a Yankee?
    Sunray's location is Canada,, not sure where he may be from,

I googled a few different ways and came up blank

Nope. London, Ontario is not Stateside. There have been civil wars all over the Planet. The Brits had 'em before they were Brits. It was tried here, but it stopped when Willy Mackenzie(whose grandson was a well known Liberal nut case who was also Primer Minister during W.W. II.) got to the pub in what is now the North end of Toronto.

There was a book, and later a TV special called "A Mile Long Shot to Kill" based on this FICTIONAL book. No Confederate general was ever killed by a sniper.

General John Sedgewick, a Union general, however, was killed by a Confederate sniper firing a Whitworth rifle. His last words were, "At this distance they couldn't hit an elephant."

7. Default

There are all sorts of either undocumented or garbled in the recounting stories. The version I heard it was a Confederate general in the Trans-Mississippi theater, he was a little too regular in his habits, an Union sharpshooter observed his pattern and shot him one morning when he rose and stepped outside his tent.
    I read that TWO of Berdan's Sharpshooters hit the same running rebel at 700 yards during the Mine Run Campaign of 1863.

I recall an "twilight episode, regarding a thrre man union team, that took advantage of a Southern General's moring routine?

A attack was coordinated to occur at the sound ofthe shot and the battle was carried, the results had a burial of just the two casualties the General and the Northern Private of the three man team.

Can't recall the exact title oh the show.

"...title oh the show..." There ain't nothing real about anything seen on TV.
    "...The version..." There is no 'version'. It was Sedgwick.