Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default What Accesories For 1903A4

I have a 1903A4 ser 4997390. I was wondering if a canvas sling would be OK for that serial number? Also, what should the buttstock gear be? Just trying to complete some of my favorite pieces. Thanks guys.

A M1907 leather sling is probably correct.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

That is such a many layered question. Correct for when? As shipped from Remington, After a troop signs for the weapon, and gets odd bits from the unit armorer, After a Rebuild, After a reissue? What date?

Where to start? Ok, an oiler case for the lube oil and the cleaning thong and bronze bristle brush. Originally the long yellowish tube, then later the short oiler case. Don't forget the sewn leather lens caps, for the scope. Listings in the Ord Catalog 9 SNL B-3 1942 shows either the M1907 or the M1 canvas web sling. Issued at the unit based on what's in the unit arms locker or user preferences. Atlanta Cutlery shows a accessory kit for the 1903 series, with the front sight cover (not used on an A4), a thong and a screwdriver : https://www.atlantacutlery.com/sprin...-accessory-kit Warning! the thong twine is 70+ yrs old and rotten, don't use it. A M10 series cleaning kit https://www.ammogarand.com/m10-clean...011903114.html a pocket or pack cleaning kit for the M10 cleaning kit: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1250190 and ass the takedown tool from the atlanta cutlery page, and possibly a ruptured case extractor: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1086440 and a few *clean* patches stuck between the ends of the items in the butt stock and the cover to keep them from rattle-ing. NOTE: The gunparts accessory cleaning kit already has the takedown tool and thong and brush in the kit, so yousave a bit there. IF you want to replace the rotted twin on the thong cleaner, The French MAS rifles 36, 49/56 styles also had a thong cleaning kit with the twine being a slightly stronger cord,you'll have to search for one and it's tied and secured with a metal clip to the metal parts, either keep as is, or untie one end, and snip the other and tie onto your gi thong set. (a little super glue on the ends after cutting witll keep the cord from unraveling). Hope this helps a bit.

4. Default

I'm mostly curious about the cloth slings as they do seem a bit less expensive than the leather. Since this rifle seems to be early 1944 is flat buckle a must or did they use the raised buckle back then. I'm trying to be period correct to the as issued date. Thanks guys.

It is my understanding that the flat buckle is correct. Looking at period pictures there is a combination of 1907's and web slings in the pictures.
    Last edited by m1ashooter; 02-02-2019 at 09:15.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

6. Default

Thank you Gentlemen. I will keep my eyes peeled.

7. Default

Scope caps can be. very hard to find. Those little canvas muzzle covers are cool, but they fall off

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by RETREAD123456 View Post
    Scope caps can be. very hard to find. Those little canvas muzzle covers are cool, but they fall off
    I have an old pair of Storm Queens on it but I know they're not correct.

Quote Originally Posted by m1ashooter View Post
    It is my understanding that the flat buckle is correct. Looking at period pictures there is a combination of 1907's and web slings in the pictures.
    I believe the hump buckle one would be okay also. As I have one stamped smb 1944, Ray

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by rayg View Post
    I believe the hump buckle one would be okay also. As I have one stamped smb 1944, Ray
    Ray, I probably have about 10 or more hump buckles in my parts box. I will give a look and thanks.