These are two books by Don Laubach, the man who developed the "Cow Talk" elk call. Don is a lifelong hunter who has his base in Livingston MT. "Elk Tactics" is a great book about various situations you might run into hunting elk in the mountains. "The Elk Hunter" is a sort of autobiography and history of elk hunting in western Montana rolled into one. Both books are readable as all getout, and any elk hunter will get something useful out of either one. The third elk book, "Elk Talk" I haven't read yet, I guess it's all about calling.

Before the Cow Call, most elk calls were bugles. Just what you need when the elk are bugling. Rest of the year, Laubach says anyway, you can get better results with the cow call. Calling works best when there are elk present. I had an email exchange with Laubach and he is pretty bummed out about the decline in elk populations and especially about the wolves.

Anyway, here's where you can order the books. If you hunt, you'll love them. http://www.elkinc.com/books/

jn