Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My 1896 rifle

No, it was made as an 1896.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    No, it was made as an 1896.

thanks for the reply. I wish I could take pictures that nice.

Fred - What is the 'story' on the interesting sling on your beautiful model 1896 Krag?

Pardon my borrowing and cropping your nice photos. This sling has a very distinctive structure, button placement, and attachment, which I am trying to highlight.

Can you explain more about your sling? It appears a lot more practical and less bulky than the usual 64 to 66 inch long Krag sling. It looks like it could be used as an aid to prone shooting, as well as, a carry strap.

What is the length of this sling and how many pairs of holes? Thanks!

freds sling-1ed.jpgfreds sling-2ed.jpg
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 02-16-2018 at 08:32.

It is one of the slings that were used on the new Rod Bayonet 1903. They were also used on Krags.
    Dated 1903 and stamped Rock Island Arsenal.

I believe the sling might've been designed for the Krag, and then, later adopted to use on the new 1903 when it came out.
    I'll get the length and the number of sets of holes posted here for you after I take it off the rifle and measure it. Maybe I can leave it on the rifle and do the same...
    Normally, these Slings go for $250.00 to $300.00. I had two of them and let one go on my sold rod bayonet 1903. The best of the two I kept on my 1896 Krag.
    Last edited by Fred; 02-17-2018 at 08:04.

Thanks Fred! An approximate length and the number of holes (pairs) would be good and greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 02-17-2018 at 12:53.

The sling has 20 pairs of holes and is 51 inches long from the end of the claw to the end of the sling.

With Three pairs of holes on one end, the sling can be kept taut or allowed a little slack, depending on where the hooks are placed. There's no reason to have to Remove the brass button before adjusting the sling for carrying. It's an excellent Krag and early pre 1907 sling for an 03 Springfield.

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fred; 02-17-2018 at 05:59.

Fred - Thank you again for sharing wonderful items from your collection. Thanks for the details on a very interesting and rare U.S. Sling!