Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saa 32-20

Default Saa 32-20

I just got in a Colt SAA 32-20, blue finish, 4 3/4 barrel, serial number in 295,xxx range. 70% finish.All numbers match, Only 8% made in this cal.,,What is value?
    I would like a 5 1/2 colt in .45 cal. what would be cheaper use it for trading material or convert it to .45 cal.
    tia hvymech

2. Default

Early 1900's by the S/N. Trade.

+1 for barrelcreek. Especially since .45 Colt is the most common caliber and .32-20 one of the least common.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by hvymech View Post
    I would like a 5 1/2 colt in .45 cal. what would be cheaper use it for trading material or convert it to .45 cal.
    The wisest thing you could do is sell it to me now for what it would be worth after you made that conversion.

Hevymch,

That 32-30 is worth some MONEY. Don' mess with it! Late manufacture it can probably stand up to smokeless loads, maybe rifle loads. The SAA is pretty beefy ...

What Robert Johnson sung ...

"I send for my baby and she don't come
    I send for my baby, man, and she don't come
    All the doctors in hot springs, they sure can't help her none

And if she gets unruly, things she don't wanna do
    And if she gets unruly and thinks she don't wanna do
    Take my 32-20, now, and cut her half in two

She got a 38 special but I believe it's most too light
    She got a 38 special but I believe it's most too light
    I got a 32-20, got to make the camps alright"

jn

Pacific North west & Lake Havasu City, AZ.

They made relatively few of the .32-20 pistols because they were unpopular and no one wanted them. Most wanted the .44 or .45 caliber pistols. The real value now would be to a serious collector.

If you convert it to .45 cal., you'll drop its value by half. Condition is everything, but a Colt SAA in .32-20 starts at 3 to 4 grand on the auction sites. Collectors don't like stuff that has been altered.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Bottom line: Do not spend hundreds of dollars only to reduce the value of the gun. You'll NEVER get your money back out of it.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

As noted above, the .32-20 was never very popular in the Colt SAA, but they were made in large enough numbers that they are not rare today. Sort of shunned by the SAA collectors for the larger calibers, or the really rare calibers.

10. Default

Skeeter Skelton wrote a column about the Colt SAA in 32-20 he bought in Chicago when he was discharged from the Marine Corps in 1946, he spoke highly of it.