Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'm leery of anything made in India! Usually crude manufacture.

My 1858 Enfield Parker Hale Musketoon was proof tested with 7 drams of black powder and a 724 grain bullet, the service load is 68.35 grains BP 2.5 drams with a 505 grain bullet. seems like you would really have to not watch what you are doing to exceed 7 drams.

The India made ones have been or being banned by most civil war reenactments groupsand events due to being unsafe. One blew up at a event couple years ago causing multiple injuries.

Best stick with armisport or pedersoli/euro arms
    Last edited by Embalmer; 03-16-2018 at 09:24.

After hearing all the good v bad over the years, it seems they all let go with neglect or abuse. Some can take more than others. A well maintained shooter shouldn't be a problem.
    What ever happened to all those "super dangerous" Spanish-made kits from the late 60's through the 70's? They didn't all blow up because I still have one. Perhaps the next time...or the next?
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    What ever happened to all those "super dangerous" Spanish-made kits from the late 60's through the 70's? They didn't all blow up because I still have one. Perhaps the next time...or the next?
    One of them got scrapped in 1982 when I was at Gunsmith school. It was given to me to build and finish as a school gun. Draw filing and polishing revealed a longitudinal crack in the barrel from where the breech plug screwed in for about 3" forward; right through the chamber area. It didn't get finished. I doubt it would have made it through very many, or even one, attempt to fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Emri View Post
    One of them got scrapped in 1982 when I was at Gunsmith school. It was given to me to build and finish as a school gun. Draw filing and polishing revealed a longitudinal crack in the barrel from where the breech plug screwed in for about 3" forward; right through the chamber area. It didn't get finished. I doubt it would have made it through very many, or even one, attempt to fire.
    It's a good thing you caught that one when you did. Out of curiosity, was it one of the CVA kits? They were liquidating a lot of their kits about that time. In '78 or '79 I bought one from a catalog retailer for only $28.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by EO1 View Post
    Once again, hearsay and photos of unknown origins. As far as we can tell, his rank and trade is a gifted position among reenactors. I can and do fully appreciate the preventive measures under those circumstances, but even the writer admits to being in the dark as to the actual causes. I would much rather see lab reports and/or first hand feedback instead. If that article was intended to be circulated amongst his unit, then kudos to him for making a call erring on the side of safety. No point in taking chances in a crowd of guys out having a weekend of fun.

It does look as though a seam let loose on that Brown Bess. When it comes to privately owned arms there is no way to control possible neglect or abuse. Not to mention people make mistakes all the time. Better quality can be very forgiving in that area.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**