Thread: WW1 Shotguns

Default WW1 Shotguns

Just wondering about military shotguns. In my circle of gun shows, dealers, etc., I have yet to spot one. The US-made WW1 shotguns have my interest and include Browning Auto A, Remington M1910A, Stevens M520, and Winchester M1897 and M1912 and others that I don't know about. I've only seen photos of them on the Internet, never the real thing. Which are commom? Which are rare? What's the going price? The Germans considered them inhumane. Imagine that.

2. Default

The WW1 shotguns the military contracted for were the Winchester Model 1897 riot and trench guns and the Remington Model 10 riot and trench guns. Perhaps some Winchester Model 12 riots too. The most common are the Model 1897s. The Remington Model 10s are tougher to find and rarely are in original condition. Most are also pretty beat up. I'm not aware of any Browning Auto 5s that were contract guns during WW1. The Stevens 520s are WW2 shotguns.

The value of a really nice original WW1 Model 1897 trench gun with hand stamped "US" and Ordnance Bomb markings is over $7,500. I've seen a minty one sell for over $12,000, and that was about 10 years ago. Most of these WW1 1897 trench guns do not have the "US" and Ordnance Bomb hand stamped markings on them. They sell for less money. Ones in good condition can be had for a few thousand dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Doniphon View Post
    The WW1 shotguns the military contracted for were the Winchester Model 1897 riot and trench guns and the Remington Model 10 riot and trench guns. Perhaps some Winchester Model 12 riots too. The most common are the Model 1897s. The Remington Model 10s are tougher to find and rarely are in original condition. Most are also pretty beat up. I'm not aware of any Browning Auto 5s that were contract guns during WW1. The Stevens 520s are WW2 shotguns.

The value of a really nice original WW1 Model 1897 trench gun with hand stamped "US" and Ordnance Bomb markings is over $7,500. I've seen a minty one sell for over $12,000, and that was about 10 years ago. Most of these WW1 1897 trench guns do not have the "US" and Ordnance Bomb hand stamped markings on them. They sell for less money. Ones in good condition can be had for a few thousand dollars.
    Thanks for the response. The values you mentioned are probably the reason that they are not being offered for sale at the usual places that I frequent.