1. Default More questions/pics of my 1898 Krag

Took a much closer look at the sights and the sling on the rifle I acquired last Tuesday.
    The stamp on the sling though partially obliterated appears to me to read "Rock Island Arsenal ***3". The first 3 numbers of the date are unreadable so they could be from any of several decades.
    The rear sight does have the "sgt peep" others have mentioned, and it functions.
    The pics of the bore are after cleaning, it looks good to me.

http://www.fototime.com/inv/B7FA4E528557611
    Last edited by Brad in Idaho; 01-29-2018 at 11:43.

Brad, nice to see more detailed pics of the rifle, what a great bore. Should be a shooter!
    Sling is a nice original, and has value as such. I wouldn't use it shooting, but only as display. Like so many, it's been slathered with neatsfoot or other oils through the years. Shows by the 'alligator' welts throughout. Still looks supple, but any further treatment if dry should be pure lanolin very sparingly.
    I copied butlersrangers answer and pics of the rear sight on the other forum for future reference, good info!

Get some ammo and enjoy!

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by pickax View Post
    Brad, nice to see more detailed pics of the rifle, what a great bore. Should be a shooter!
    Sling is a nice original, and has value as such. I wouldn't use it shooting, but only as display. Like so many, it's been slathered with neatsfoot or other oils through the years. Shows by the 'alligator' welts throughout. Still looks supple, but any further treatment if dry should be pure lanolin very sparingly.
    I copied butlersrangers answer and pics of the rear sight on the other forum for future reference, good info!

Get some ammo and enjoy!
    Thanks. I have ammo. I'm still recuperating from a knee replacement, but as soon as we get some decent weather up here I plan to get her out to the range. The sling is still fairly supple. I'm thinking I'll get a repro sling for shooting and take just storing this one. I have learned a lot from posting here and other places. For example, I didn't even know about the "Sgt peep" and it turns out I have one on my other Krag that I bought about ten years ago...had never noticed it. Thanks for the info and replies.
    Last edited by Brad in Idaho; 01-29-2018 at 11:44.

'Brad' - Your sling is the U.S. model 1907 sling. (Possibly it is dated 1918). This sling model has two separate sections and two brass 'double-hooks'. It was designed so it could be used as a "shooting sling".

The slings originally used on the Krag only had one brass 'double-hook' on one end and a 'button-stud' at the other end. They were about 64 to 66 inches long.

There was also a shortly lived model 1903 sling, (for the model 1903 Springfield), that was about 45 inches long, had one brass 'double-hook' and a 'button-stud'.

The Krag and 1903 slings were basically carry straps.

sling model 1907.jpgsling-66inch.jpgsling model 1903.jpg
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 01-29-2018 at 07:03.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by butlersrangers View Post
    'Brad' - Your sling is the U.S. model 1907 sling. (Possibly it is dated 1918). This sling model has two separate sections and two brass 'double-hooks'. It was designed so it could be used as a "shooting sling".

The slings originally used on the Krag only had one brass 'double-hook' on one end and a 'button-stud' at the other end. They were about 64 to 66 inches long.

There was also a shortly lived model 1903 sling, (for the model 1903 Springfield), that was about 45 inches long, had one brass 'double-hook' and a 'button-stud'.

The Krag and 1903 slings were basically carry straps.

sling model 1907.jpgsling-66inch.jpgsling model 1903.jpg
    I shouldn't call this sling"original", it just appears to have been on this rifle a long time. I saw pics of the slings you describe with the one hook and button stud somewhere in my research. The date stamped on my sling is pretty well obliterated, but I'm pretty sure the last number is a 3. If I get the light right on it, it's easier to read. So the date could be any decade ending in a 3 I guess...even 1943 for a 1907 sling. Anyhow it's in pretty rough shape and a repro would probably be a better choice to use for shooting. Do you know if anyone makes a leather repro Krag sling?
    I appreciate your input and will save your pics and comment for future reference.
    Last edited by Brad in Idaho; 01-29-2018 at 08:39.

The 'original' slings for Krags were modified, shortened Trap Door slings.
    You can never go home again.

Here is the 1903 type on my Krag that was produced at R.I.A.

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Here is the 1903 type on my Krag that was produced at R.I.A.

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg
    Very nice. I'm saving these pics for future reference.

My opinion FWIW - For competitive shooting a new model 1907 type sling is your best bet. Some high quality M-1907 slings are currently being manufactured.

Original slings, of all types, are too valuable and often too brittle to use. (I don't leave slings stored on guns, due to corrosion and breakdown of leather).

At U.S. arsenals sections of obsolete Civil War slings were stitched together to make slings (model 1887 sling) for model 1873 Springfield ('Trapdoors') rifles and Krag-Jorgensen rifles. Mediocre replicas of these slings show up on ebay and some are relatively cheap. Some of these replicas are 72 inches long and will only work with 'Trapdoors'. They are too long and bulky for the Krag. Some are one piece and some two pieces stitched together.

Slings that are 64 to 66 inches long will work and were used on the Krag. They are basically a bulky carry strap, but, can be adjusted to 'fit parade tight'.

The 64-66 inch sling can be used for prone shooting by doing what competitors did in 1903 and 1904. Thread the sling through the barrel-band swivel and secure it to the front 'stacking-swivel'. The early 1900's were basically the 'Start' of using the sling as a shooting aid in U.S. matches. The model 1907 sling was designed and adopted for this purpose.

Fred's model 1903 sling is a beauty. I believe this sling shows up on U.S. Krags and Constabulary short-rifles in pictures, from the Philippines, in the early 1900s. I don't know if it was used in target shooting applications?

Attached Photos: (#1-3) Target use of 64-66 inch sling. (#4) Reproduction Model 1887 type sling - 72 inches long, properly mounted, but, too long. (#5) Photo of soldier in Philippines, early 1900's, apparently with Model 1903 sling.

NJ-riflerange 1904edit.jpgNM1903e.JPGkrag 66inch sling.jpgkrag-1887 sling.JPGsling-philippines.jpg
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 01-31-2018 at 06:25.