Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indian Enfields

Hybrid View

Default Indian Enfields

Would anyone here know where to find a copy of a book called India's Enfields?
    The authors name is Robert W. Edwards.
    The book is out of print but hopefully someone here may have an extra copy or know where to get one.
    Thank You for any help.

Try ABEbooks.com

Thanks Clark Howard but no luck.

I just checked all the usual suspects of used book sellers and found no joy. There were at least three editions that I am aware of. I have an autographed copy of the 1st and found it to be lacking certain key elements. That's why they release 2nd and 3rd editions etc. etc.. The bad part is when a page is cited for reference and it doesn't match up to others who have different copies.

Keep looking and keep on posting. Sooner or later one might turn up. Meanwhile, if you have a question about something in particular, feel free to ask. I'll see if my antiquated & obsolete copy has something which might be helpful.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Just trying to find out if it is all original or if some parts have been replaced. A guy on face book posted some I**I.P. photos and a few pages printed from Edward's book but not all print was in the pictures. Mine is a type 3 according the information and only 20,000 of this type made. There should be a cartouche mark on the butt stock but mine does not have one. It also has a brass butt plate but I think it should not be??? Most parts such as barrel band, nose cap and so on should have a C stamped on them. Mine only has a C on the trigger guard. There is R.F.I stamped on the barrel band and can't make out the stamp on the nose cap. All serial#'s match and all wood has the same color. I know it has had a long life and some things may have been replaced. Also I was wondering what the value may be. I'll try to attach some pictures.IMG_1188.jpgIMG_1187.jpgIMG_1194.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Carlsr; 02-03-2018 at 12:01.

Appears to be out of print. Isn't even listed on Edwards' Amazon page. Not even a publisher listed. Edwards might have published it himself as it's spiral bound like a Lyman loading manual. Only one review from 2016 too.
    There is the ISBN numbers though.
    ISBN-10: 0970123701
    ISBN-13: 978-0970123701
    Doesn't run up on a net search either. Your best bet would be scouring used book stores and gun shows.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Thank You Sunray

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't think about the library. Thanks tmark

Try Alibris or ask your local library if they can get you a copy via intrastate library loan.

It’s hard to say with limited pictures and I have a few RFIs but not as many as I would like. I agree it’s appears to be a Type III. Since the markings are not legible on the nose cap that’s impossible to say. I believe the stock was probably replaced a long time ago, probably in service but who knows. JB or Sunray might be able to shed more light on it. Value, whatever someone would pay. If the bore is good and everything was tight, I would go $400.00. Those rifles are a little harder to find. Someone might pay much more, some would think I’m crazy. A lot of collectors scoff at the Indian Enfields for various reasons. Other than the worthless ugly Isshy screw on later rifles I like them. The Enfield market is a little soft still from where it was at. Very neat rifle regardless.

Thanks p246. I paid 400 a couple years ago at a gun show. The guy had a manufacture date of 1945 on it but had 1916 on the left socket. Looking it over I thought it would be worth a little more since it had the adjustable rear sight, mag cut off and volley sights. I had a gun smith go over the rifle and found that the muzzle is a little over what it should be but everything else locks up tight and shoots well at 100 yards. I also found a R.F.I. bayonet dated 1920. Don't see many and I know I overpaid but figured when would I see another. Here are a couple more photos.IMG_1196.jpgIMG_1195.jpgIMG_1189.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

This is the bayonetAttachment 42917Attachment 42918Attachment 42919
    Attached Images Attached Images