Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Asplundh has been dropping off truckloads of mulch for the garden. Since learning about gardening God's way from Brother Paul gardening has been so easy and simple. A little easy weeding, no watering even during the driest time, no spraying for insects as there was none. More produce then we could possible use, huge cherry tomatoes and even larger other plants. The flavor was exceptional on all fruit as well. I plan on tripling the garden this year so that I can share our bounty with the less fortunate as God has seen fit to bless us with so much abundance. God is Good!
    Sam

Saw the first carpenter bee today. I blasted it with the weed torch I was using at the time. I didn't kill it but it flew off so maybe it got enough blast to die or stay away. 1 down, 1 thousand to go.

The first sign of spring is Wal Mart putting out fertilizer, potting soil and other gardening products in the parking lot. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Saw the first carpenter bee today. I blasted it with the weed torch I was using at the time. I didn't kill it but it flew off so maybe it got enough blast to die or stay away. 1 down, 1 thousand to go.
    Carpenter bees aren't dangerous. They're only boring....and I never took you for being such a flamer.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Oh I flame a LOT with my new toy (weed torch). It takes some getting used to but let me just say it's best to burn weeds only after a heavy rain. I had a large burn pile that needed to be burned but I was waiting for a windless day. I burned some dandelions with the torch about 3' from the pile and well...

These carpenter bees are like giant termites. The males have no stinger but the females do. I don't ask them what sex they are due to possible responses such as "well, I'm a male traped in a females body". I just whack them with a tennis racket. And yes I realize you were just making a joke.

As far as spring goes I had to mow the grass today. Actually no grass yet, the mowing was for the white clover blooms and other weeds.
    Last edited by Allen; 02-18-2018 at 04:30.

All I can mow is snow.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Another sign is flooding, I have lived along the Ohio River all of my 66 years and have seen this river "escape" many times.
    Sam

Killed my first snake of the season. While cutting grass for the 2nd time this spring I ran over a corn snake. It went out the chute with the rest of the grass. An uneventful kill but still a kill.