Default Correcting a SA 5.9

Have a nice SA 5.9 (2-56) that I bought back in 2003. Originally bought this rifle from my identical-twin brother who wanted a birth year rifle (1956). We knew he had cancer, but he was told 18-24 months at least. I wanted to get it fixed up nice, correct. Ran out of time. Four weeks, two days, he was gone. Now after to many years I need to finish things.

With many thanks to Coltgrabber, I now have a very nice unsanded butt stock/hand guards. The metal matches very well. I need to ask how to safely remove the rear hand guard so that I can install the new rear/front hand that go so well w/ the butt stock. I would appreciate any directions as to links, instructions, etc. so that the new rear hand can be installed w/o damage.

The gas cylinder has a fair amount of rotational play. I have a new GC purchased long ago when Barbara King was selling parts. I've thought about using it, but it is new and the finish simply does not match up so well. Does anyone have any ideas as to how best to proceed?

I want to get this rifle finished up by February/March. That will allow me time to drive over to the cemetery and take some pictures by my brother's grave, hopefully on our birthday (4/20). The rifle will I admit be many years late. Strange all these years I've helped folks deal with grief, etc., in the loss of loved one. Then my brother dies and I find out first hand just how profoundly hard is that long dark valley. Looks like I'll be moved later this year to a new place of service so this time around I can't drag my feet. Otherwise it'll be a lot more of a drive than at present. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

After removing the gas cylinder plug and lock, you can pull the gas cylinder off the rifle. The upper handguard will easily follow.
    For the lower handguard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FbnaYSJrrE

As for the gas cylinder, if the old one is still serviceable, you can tighten it up easily. Get all your handguard work done first.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVl-QeRQk7c
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

Update.

Well, I've got some down time. My wife went to work this morning and my car keys are in her purse. So ... what to do? What to do? Drink coffee. Study my bible for the sermons Sunday. Drink more coffee. Then ... work on my beloved 5.9!

The Youtube links were so very helpful! I was dreading trying to get that rear hand guard off. Old information I was given said to use a couple of ice picks to spread the rear clip apart. The one and only time I ever tried that, a bit of the wood on the inside of the rear handguard was chipped. The Youtube link was very much easier. With no car, had to walk to the ACE Hardware. Ended up w/ three pin punches hoping one would fit. Unfortunately ... had to return them since none were the right size. So ... 6K steps later, I was back home drinking coffee thinking. Then I got an idea. In my odds/ends for my 1911 habit there was a little 1911 combo tool w/ a pin punch tip that I thought might work. While I was rummaging around looking for that little tool, I blundered on a Snap-On pin punch that I didn't even know I had. Fit perfectly! In short order the old hand guards were off the rifle. Looks like the first time they've ever been moved. I wiped clean and then greased the metal before installing the rear hand guard. It went on with no issues, just like in the video.

Then the fun began! I installed the metal middle band and went to install the front handguard. That's when I noticed that the front hand guard had that band already installed. Wonder of wonders. I dismounted the part that I had just installed ... slid the front hand guard onto the rifle ... tapped the roll pin into place and all was fine!

I must say, this SA 5.9 is a joy to my eyes! The metal is in wonderful shape. The wood ... I bought from Coltgrabber. It is just right! Not brand new unissued ... that wouldn't look right with a used rifle. But, not beat to pieces. Just nice and unsanded. Color is great.

Now I've got to work up the nerve to start tapping on that barrel. The gas cylinder has a bit or rotational play which I understand can be fixed with a bit of drill rod tapped on the splines. One suggestion was to try beer can shims. I may give that a go! We'll see. I have taken some pictures w/ my cell phone but have yet to figure out how to post them. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Bruce, I have used both methods for tightening the gas cylinder. Both work well but I prefer the peening method. I used a piece of cold rolled steel. laid it in the spline and gave it a whack. Check for fit. Repeated on the other splines and check for fit. Repeat until you get the fit you want. I used cold rolled because it is a little softer than the barrel steel so most of the impact is absorbed by the rod but enough gets through to the very edge of the spline. There are several other ways to get the same results but this is the one I have used most often. Good luck.

I got this tip from a Gunsmith in our club use a o ring from the auto store between the gas cylinder and front hand guard this will tighten up the gas cylinder and the hand guard.Try it works for me o rings are cheap

leftyo Guest

peen the splines, but ideally you do not want the gas cyl touching the handguard.