Default Garand mechanic near Shelby Charter Township,MI

Dear Ffolks:

Need to find a Garand surgeon for a guy in Shelby Charter Township, MI. He's got a problem with not being able to zero his garand.

He uses a center hold and it hits 12 in high at 100yrds with the elevation completely forward. I've told him to 1. Disassemble and check the sight parts using the Rear Sight Disassembly instructions at CMP. And get a complet set of rear sight bits from Sarco, Numrich, in case there's a pinion problem with the sights. I also suggested he get a front sight and front sight screw, and use a micrometer to check that the front post hasn't been fiddled with. the 3rd choice I suggested is that either the barrel is shot out, or the crown is buggered. But since he says the rifle gives good groups, so I don't think it's the crown. I *SUSPECT* that it's either the front sight blade height, or the rear sights are gummed up, But there's also the chance that if the barrel had been replaced the facing geometry of the barrel threads and the receiver are off. Any suggestions further? He's on the Garand group on arse parchment.

R Brown

new front sight would be the place to start.

Not necessarily in Shelby Township... but Tim Shufflin from Shuff's Parkerizing in Lenore, MI - http://shuffsparkerizing.com/ is a top Garand guy! He only works on Garands and their variants (M1A, M14, etc). Give him a call!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo