Default New(to Me) Schuster High Volume Gas Plug

I am not into Garands as heavily as I once was. Age and lack of Garand (or High Power) matches within reasonable distances have limited my ability to shoot at a skill level that I once enjoyed. The escalation of prices in all things Garand hasn't helped. I ran across something while looking at the Creedmoor Web site that looks interesting.

This is probably not a new thing to the hard core Garandaholics but I have just discovered the high volume gas plug. This is not the adjustable (which we are all familiar with). The paperwork says that the plug is machined so that there is an increase of volume in the gas cylinder of 60% and this makes the rifle safe to shoot with "M2 Ball and ALL commercial ammo" Anybody on the board with any experience using this gas plug? Pros - cons?

Market on that is going to be pretty specific, say to someone who wants to occasionally hunt with 180gr bullets. At $18.00 it isn't much of an investment. I have a Schuster adjustable plug and one thing about it that isn't so good as that with the second (locking) screw in it, there is not a lot of slot depth there for engaging whatever tool you use for tightening or removing the gas screw, and as I recall the slots are narrow as compared to the USGI poppet type screw. And having to remove and replace the locking screw every time you want to service the gas system is not desirable either. My solution was that maybe 5-7 years ago the CMP sold these little compact right angle gas wrenches, made out of some metal that is reasonably hard but not steel (so as to not booger up the screw). More simply made and a bit cheaper than the current listing from Packrat at the E-Store. I bought three and took the dremel to one of them to fit the Schuster plug better.
    Last edited by togor; 01-07-2018 at 05:43.