Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: White slavery

1. Default

On March 21 Confederate VP Alexander Stephens made the "Cornerstone Speech" in which he declared subordination-slavery-to be the "natural condition of the Negro."
    There is a letter sent by Sherman to Stanton during the Atlanta Campaign where he said;
    "I am no friend of the Negro, but the government's emancipation policies have raised us up a whole host of allies."

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawknj View Post
    On March 21 Confederate VP Alexander Stephens made the "Cornerstone Speech" in which he declared subordination-slavery-to be the "natural condition of the Negro."
    There is a letter sent by Sherman to Stanton during the Atlanta Campaign where he said;
    "I am no friend of the Negro, but the government's emancipation policies have raised us up a whole host of allies."
    I give someone credit for raising that speech. Ask some Southerners whether they explicitly reject the attitudes expressed therein and you'll get a surprisingly complicated answer. It goes along with LBJ's observation to a young Bill Moyers about the "lowest white man".