Default Interesting question here...

I write an outdoor's article for a weekly paper, had a reader contact me for firing a new ,45Cal flintlock rifle.
    The smith used a Green Mountain HEXAGONAL bore barrel blank.
    This is similiar to the CW Whitford rifle that used a 1-3/8 long hexagon bullet with hollow base.

Is there a formula for determining a bullet length for making a similar bullet for using in this ML?

Lyman and DGW once made a mould for the original Whitford and current replica, so any leads for tracking down information will be great.

I will contact the MLNRA and the NRA dope Bag for additional sources.

It's Whitworth and I believe Pedersoli sells the hex moulds to go with their reproduction rifle. However, I have read that sharpshooters during the CW also used round hollow base minies. My question is....Why did he have a rifle built with a hex bore and not plan for the hex bullet ? Does he even know the twist rate ? The current made Whitworth has a 1 in 20 to stabilize those long bullets. The weight of the bullet determines the length. The length determines the twist rate. The longer the bullet, the faster the twist (in a nut shell). Maybe he just thinks it is a hex bore from looking at some deep grooves at the muzzle ? Dixie sells the Whitworth mould for 160. I would suggest asking your question on some CW forums also.
    Last edited by EO1; 01-01-2018 at 12:14.