Default Odd repaired stock

I recently came across a 1903 stock which I had forgotten I had. I have had it for at least 20 years, so I don't remember where I got it. It has been sanded heavily so the finger grooves are there, but not distinct. The odd thing about it has a hole drilled in line with the long axis of the stock, and the portion under the bayonet band has been plugged. It is a two bolt stock, but the cross bolts, I suppose, could have been added. It has a square cartouche (just the "frame" is slightly visible) which is there, but unreadable. It has a circle P and some other markings on the bottom. Just curious as to what this may have been, or why this was done.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

2. Default

May have been a rod bayonet stock.
    Fred Pillot
    Captain
    San Jose Zouaves

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Pillot View Post
    May have been a rod bayonet stock.
    The thought occurred to me, but it seemed like a lot of work and expense to me to plug the stock, then to add two stock bolts. That might have had to be done in two separate periods, decades apart. But still....

It looks like a RB stock and has gone through several rebuilds. Nice that it survived this long.
    "Three people can keep a secret as long as two of them are dead" Mark Twain

Seasons' Greetings!

The stock is indeed a plugged rod bayonet stock that has been through one or more overhauls/updates.

Thanks for sharing! And Happy New Year!

J.B.

Quote Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
    Seasons' Greetings!

The stock is indeed a plugged rod bayonet stock that has been through one or more overhauls/updates.

Thanks for sharing! And Happy New Year!

J.B.
    Thanks John. That pretty much settles it. I wonder if I can use it on a rifle? I'll have to see. Happy New Year.

Quote Originally Posted by 11mm View Post
    Thanks John. That pretty much settles it. I wonder if I can use it on a rifle? I'll have to see. Happy New Year.
    Seasons' Greetings!

I recommend that you not use the stock on a shooter. The stock was originally marginal in strength and has now become even more delicate and fragile. You should have no trouble trading the stock for a serviceable shooter if that's what you seek.

Happy New Year!

J.B.

Quote Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
    Seasons' Greetings!

I recommend that you not use the stock on a shooter. The stock was originally marginal in strength and has now become even more delicate and fragile. You should have no trouble trading the stock for a serviceable shooter if that's what you seek.

Happy New Year!

J.B.
    Thanks again. I'll follow that advice.