Default Henry 44 Magnum rifle Reloading ?

I just bought myself a Christmas present (new Henry 44 Magnum rifle). My experience with this cartridge was loading for a 44 Magnum revolver. The revolver has a barrel about 6 inches long. The new rifle has a barrel about 20 inches long. I don't know how much difference there is in loading for the rifle. Are the ballistics (basically powder charge) different between the revolver and the rifle ? Will it be safe to use the loaded pistol charges in the rifle ?

I have a LYMAN Reloading Handbook .eXAMPLE 225 grain using Blue Dot there is only a couple of grains difference for rifle and revolver. There is quite a few powders listed. You will probably get a few suggestions on your question, I suggest you get printed information from a reliable hand loading manual and work up your loads Just my 2 CENTS worth..

john
    Last edited by JOHN COOK; 12-10-2018 at 10:03. Reason: spelling
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

Ammunition that's safe in a .44 Mag. revolver should easily be safe in your rifle - unless it's extreme reduced loads that might not get out of the longer barrel.

When handloading specifically for the rifle, there's a potential to get higher velocity by using slower powders that wouldn't burn completely in the short handgun barrel - but at the price of higher cost (more powder) and more recoil. Not generally cost-effective unless you really need a little added power.

There's .44 Mag rifle data(tested with a 20" barrel) on Hodgdon's site. Their 240 grain jacketed data is the same for rifle or handgun though. Only difference is the velocities with the different barrel lengths. Handgun loads were tested with an 8.275" barrel. Handgun data goes to 355 grains vs 300 too.
    The ballistics will be different. The powder charge isn't the ballistics. Ballistics charts, when done right, have the bullet drop and velocity loss at various distances.
    Rummage around here for tested real world velocities by barrel length.
    http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/index.html
    Spelling and grammar count!