Thread: Shooting range

Default Shooting range

Who has their own, I have some questions.
    Sam

We have a 600 yard range set up with berms. Private property further away in flood plain, no berms as no one lives close downfange.

Nothing fancy, but it works for me. I can stretch out to 300 by moving my table back. Normally I shoot 100 and 150. Hill behind the 150 stantions goes up pretty much vertical for 250'.

Another shot. 50', 100', 75yds, 100yds and 150yds.

My favorite targets would be the AR-500 Prairie dogs sitting in the grass at 150Yds. Love shooting them with my 03A4.

Last edited by nf1e; 12-18-2018 at 06:08.

Back in the spring I bought a bunch of metal targets to redo my range, house construction took over that. Hopefully in April I can resume on the range and the new targets. I only have fifty yards and I do mainly pistol. With the cost of lead I want to recover as much as possible so instead of just the hillside I have decided to use sandbags in back of my targets. I picked up 100 bags quite reasonable and in the spring will have a dump truck load of sand delivered.
    Sam

I have a stack of old telephone poles behind my 100 yd target stands to collect old bullets. About 5 years of drilling into them they turn to pulp and collection of the bullet fragment works out.
    For years out at Camp Perry there has been an outfit selling bullet traps that can be used up to 50 cal.
    Always looked reasonable but to rich for my country taste.

Dirt berms and one pile off old telephone poles at the 600. I ha ent been casting much lately, but I got plenty of scrap.

7. Default

South end of my property slopes up sharply. Building two sand boxes, one for the HP butt and another for the pistol targets. Recovery the lead and also as a hedge against the
    ^&*)^% enviros nosing around as I am doing a conservation easement.

Quote Originally Posted by barretcreek View Post
    Recovery the lead
    The best ranges I have shot at all had a dirt berm. After a while some of the bullets will expose themselves due to the rain and lead recovery is easy. At our farm I just shoot at targets on the ground. Whether you are standing, sitting or laying down the angle will lead the bullet to the ground with no berm needed however we do have timber in the background as an additional stop.

The refinery I worked at had a shooting range with a shed, close pistol target frames and a berm for rifles. We shot towards the Gulf of Mexico (not the refinery). Here again the berm and timber in the background was more than enough to stop anything, even a 50cal.