Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default So much for that idea!

Tumbling media is now $100/50lb delivered so I was going to order a Hornady wet tumbler and I went looking. Either companies don't carry them or out of stock so I called Hornady. It appears that the manufacturer won't be shipping them for 90 days and I either wait or order something else. It looks like Battenfield from Graf. Any suggestions?
    Sam

Thumler works great in my playroom.

I also have a Thumler. I have used it for many years and can be used wet or dry. I bought mine based upon my brothers experience with his which is probably 40-50 years old now and still runs great. Of course these days they don't get used much. Many use the RCBS but they are double the price as the Thumbler and the tub is plastic I believe. Thumblers have been out so long they can even be bought used on ebay along with parts. Some people who tumble a LOT have been known to use an electric cement mixer like those sold by Harbor Freight. I bet they are noisy though. The Thumler steel tub is rubber lined and the RCBS is plastic? so not so noisy.

If you decide on a Thumbler it is the model B only that we speak of. The others are smaller, plastic and basically only meant to polish small quantities of rocks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Thumblers-T...sAAOSwnCFaMKmG

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RCBS-Sidewi...QAAOSw3h1ZQdSE

Stainless media pins on ebay run about $7 a pound but as you know are permanent. I use 5# in mine. 5# is just a double handful.

Amazon sells these too, both the Thumbler and the RCBS. They also sell the Hornady sonic cleaner (mixed reviews). I know nothing about these.

https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-Lock-...ornady+TUMBLER
    Last edited by Allen; 12-27-2017 at 03:09.

Sam, Frankfort Arsenal has a great wet media tumbler that won't break your bank account.

Quote Originally Posted by S.A. Boggs View Post
    Tumbling media is now $100/50lb delivered so I was going to order a Hornady wet tumbler and I went looking. Either companies don't carry them or out of stock so I called Hornady. It appears that the manufacturer won't be shipping them for 90 days and I either wait or order something else. It looks like Battenfield from Graf. Any suggestions?
    Sam
    Come on Sam... 50 lbs of tumbling media? How many million rounds do you intend to tumble? I have walnut hull media that has been used countless times over the past many years. I think I started out with 5 lb.s in 1995. Are you tumbling to clean, or to polish? The difference is two teaspoons of car polish for 100 rd.s of '06 brass.
    Last edited by RED; 12-27-2017 at 04:59.

6. Default

Go to a pet supply store and take your pick of walnut shell, corn cob or ?? bedding mat'l. And yes, I have used an electric cement mixer when I have buckets of range brass to clean the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by barretcreek View Post
    . And yes, I have used an electric cement mixer when I have buckets of range brass to clean the first time.
    Now there's a novel idea!

If you reload a lot.......
    Attached Images Attached Images

What kind of tumbling media is now $100/50lb? Wally World wants $13.58US for a 5.75 kg(12.65 lbs) bag of corn cobs.
    A net search for 'crushed walnut shells USA' turns up 162,000 sites. Mostly industrial suppliers for burr removal.
    Spelling and grammar count!

I had checked with places that I had bought from before. This is for the brass business that I am slowly starting, I will be first doing 3,000 piece lots of brass to begin with. I plan on cleaning/polishing/popping primers and placing 250 per bag. !,000 .45ACP will be $80.00 I figure.
    Sam