Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

'Kragrifle's original post introduced the subject of "Reworked model 1896 Krags" having a stock 'cartouche' dated 1900 or 1901, (rifles and carbines). IMHO such Krags beg explanation and this has kind of been lost in this thread.

Since manufacture of model 1896 actions ended, at around serial #109020, in approximately July, 1898, these late 'cartouche' stamps create an interesting puzzle. Were these model 1896 Krags not accepted for service until 1900 and 1901, or are these 'dated cartouche' stamps simply surviving marks on recycled stocks? (If the stocks are recycled, it opens the possibility that Springfield or other U.S. Arsenals may have altered 'used' model 1898 stocks to rebuild some model 1896 Arms).

More data, like the serial number range (of such model 1896 arms) and the stock condition (original finish or arsenal refinish), might throw further light on model 1896 Krags with 1900 & 1901 'cartouche' marks. Very close scrutiny should be given to the stock-inletting in the bolt handle area.

on 5's website is a rifle with the vertical cartouche it is under the heading of "interesting rifle" IIRC. It might shed some light on this discussion here.

M
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

Is Joes's website up again? It has gone through a number of iterations over the years, always very much subject to his whim of the moment - you never know whether he is going to allow access, or have any viewable content, or not, at any given time. His book, however, is a very valuable source of information, and I would recommend it highly to any Krag collector.

was up in the last few days.

M
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

5. Default

was just there all good that I looked at