Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1. Default

Hasn’t been any new posts lately. Thought some might be interested in a few photos of an arsenal reworked 1896 Krag rifle. Most of these will be dated 1901 and fitted with either an 1896 or 1901 style sight. This particular rifle is an earlier 1900 dated specimen and so far the only one I have seen. 1896 carbines will also be found, though both I have seen have been fitted with the later short stock made without the cut out for the sling ring.

To my knowledge no data has been found on these reworked 1896 rifles and carbines but enough have been found to suspect these are legitimate Springfield produced weapons.

- - - Updated - - -

Hasn’t been any new posts lately. Thought some might be interested in a few photos of an arsenal reworked 1896 Krag rifle. Most of these will be dated 1901 and fitted with either an 1896 or 1901 style sight. This particular rifle is an earlier 1900 dated specimen and so far the only one I have seen. 1896 carbines will also be found, though both I have seen have been fitted with the later short stock made without the cut out for the sling ring.

To my knowledge no data has been found on these reworked 1896 rifles and carbines but enough have been found to suspect these are legitimate Springfield produced weapons.

One more photo61435DA8-A379-4741-A9C0-CD6BE2008EB5.jpg

2. Default

The royalty payment situation makes me wonder if they are rebuilds, inspected and stamped, that would then need royalties paid a second time. It has always been my understanding that royalties were paid on inspected rifles and carbines. I have seen a very few rifles in the past and questioned Bill Mook about them. His response was that they were assembled from "left over" 1896 receivers as "busy" work to use up parts and keep men working. I do not recall him giving a source documentation though. More food for thought

I picked up one a few years ago during the great CMP bolt rifle release.

Semper Fi
    Art

It seems odd to me that a rebuilt model 1896 Krag would receive a fresh 'acceptance cartouche', dated 1900 or 1901, on the replaced stock. The arm had more than likely already been accepted, years previous.

If a new replacement stock was put on at Springfield Armory or another U.S. Arsenal, it seems more probable the rebuilt arm would receive only the 'circled P' stamp. (Also, IMHO - There would be no reason to have to pay a second royalty on an action, already paid for).

If a used and reconditioned stock was utilized, for the rebuild, it would have the remains of a 'cartouche & date' from its previous arm.

Maybe the '1900 & 1901 cartouche' stocks were actually reused model 1898 rifle stocks that had the 'Bolt-Area Recess' expertly re-cut to accept the model 1896 action? (Just a wild thought).
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 12-29-2017 at 12:23.

Quote Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
    I picked up one a few years ago during the great CMP bolt rifle release.

Semper Fi
    Art
    It might be (must be) camera distortion, but that kinda looks to me like an earlier thin-wrist stock????

Don't know much about Krags although I have a few. Wouldn't know a thin-wrist stick if one bit me.

'nf1e' - Nice Spread you have!

Your Stock looks like the later, 'heavy wrist' type, to me.

FWIW - A picture showing a 'thin wrist' stock:

krag detail 1896-1892.jpg
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 12-30-2017 at 06:28.

8. Default

Can you show the other side of the stock around the bolt cut out?

Quote Originally Posted by butlersrangers View Post
    'nf1e' - Nice Spread you have!

Your Stock looks like the later, 'heavy wrist' type, to me.
    Well yes, in THAT picture it is, clearly, a thick wrist! Cameras can play tricks, especially in close-ups.
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 12-30-2017 at 08:21.