Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: M1917 Stock

Must have a Winny had a sported stock or an E or R marked one. Still seems like a ton of money,

Quote Originally Posted by p246 View Post
    Must have a Winny had a sported stock or an E or R marked one. Still seems like a ton of money,
    I just looked under "Sold Listings" and the stock is now there. It is a ton of money especially with some damage. The gouge on the left side looks way too deep to be drawn out with heat and moisture. A knowledgable stock or furniture refinisher might be able to fill it in and make it look like the rest of the stock for a few hundred dollars.

Its not the damage, its the un-issued with no stamps you have to sand out and make a dent.

I have a couple of R stocks and no damage. Hanging onto them for when I need to buy something.

You can guy all the guns you want, but the stocks will have the usual (and honorable) service wear and tear and cost a lot to clean up. You still have to sand the stamps off and then cover that up.

The days of the cheap stuff are gone.

I sold a 1903A3 for over 1000. You simply do not find un-issued 1903A3 in that condition regardless of what the collectors claims (and sometime get at rare sales)..

The lurk for years and strike. Average guy with no contacts stands no chance.

Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    Its not the damage, its the un-issued with no stamps you have to sand out and make a dent.

I have a couple of R stocks and no damage. Hanging onto them for when I need to buy something.

You can guy all the guns you want, but the stocks will have the usual (and honorable) service wear and tear and cost a lot to clean up. You still have to sand the stamps off and then cover that up.

The days of the cheap stuff are gone.

I sold a 1903A3 for over 1000. You simply do not find un-issued 1903A3 in that condition regardless of what the collectors claims (and sometime get at rare sales)..

The lurk for years and strike. Average guy with no contacts stands no chance.
    I got really lucky with the purchase of my W M1917 and my R 03-A3. Both came from Cabelas Gun Library in Wheeling, WV. Both have excellent bores, throats, muzzles and headspace and are excellent shooters.

The (Nov. 15, 1017) M1917's trigger action was functional but had either worn or poorly fitting E and R parts that were easily and inexpensively replaced with NOS W parts from eBay or on-line parts dealers. It currently wears a nicely fitting and unworn and undamaged non-W stock (stamped with a T on the fore end) and an E bolt. It's built like a tank and is the rifle I enjoy shooting the most.

The (April, 1943) 03-A3 was completely covered with cosmo when I bought it. Once it was removed, I found a rifle that had obviously gone through a rebuild process because of the two easily replaced external SC parts it had (butt plate and barrel band). It had a worn non-functioning extractor that was also easy to replace. I kept the replacement BF bolt and the non original stock that had been replaced, probably after the war, with a later 03-A3 stock with recoil bolts instead of pins. It has two small surface dents but has an excellent finish otherwise. The metallic parts were Parkerized and showed zero surface wear. I suspect it probably went directly into storage after it was rebuilt. I had to tinker with the rear sight a lot to find the zero, but it holds it well and is very accurate. Except for the non-original bolt and stock, it looks unissued.
    Last edited by Merc; 07-21-2018 at 08:08.

5. Default

Back to being the same: No, the diameter of the P14 is smaller in diameter, I know, it is believed P14 BARRELS WERE USED ON M1917S.

F. Guffey

F Guffey:

First you do not supply any context here? So what are you talking about?

ID or OD of the barrel?

If OD I would like to see measurements.

There is a difference between the myth thing that they just used 303 bore (they did not) vs what the outside diameter of the rifle barrel was.

I see no one saying the 303 bore was used in the 1917.

As the 276 cartridge was a modern high pressure round, the 303 was an easy conversion by a boring change from the Pattern 13 .276 caliber and the same was true of the 30-06 x 1917. Just a boring change.

While its possible barrel diameter was changed, I have yet to see solid data that says it was.
    Last edited by RC20; 01-27-2018 at 02:20.

7. Default

[QUOTE=RC20;519379]F Guffey:
    First you do not supply any context here? So what are you talking about?

ID or OD of the barrel?

I have a P14 chambered to a 30/06 and I have a P14 chambered to 308 Norma Mag and I am building two M1917s or P14s chambered to 8MM338 Winchester Mags.
    It seems you are talking about something you have never seen.

http://www.constitution.org/col/blind_men.htm

F. Guffey

And the price of tea in Tibet?

You can put any barrel with the right threads on a P14.

Does not tell us what the OD of the original P17 barrel is. So tell is, what is the OD, rear, front. Mid point.

Instead of trying to be cute, simply tell us what the setup is.

What I do see is you like to talk in such a twisted manner a cray super computer could not figure out what you mean.

9. Default

I thought I would post this photo of an attempt to put an early Winchester P14 barrel on an early Eddystone P14 by a home gunsmith. You can see that even within the manufacturers P14 barrels were different in in OD size. I did use that barrel on another early Winchester P14 that I had and it fit the stock and action body perfectly.

Pattern 14 5a.jpg

You sure it is not the wood?......regards...alex