Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How accurate is your M1917?

On a different thread, I mentioned that shooting my Winchester M1917 at 100 yard distant targets is the most accurate with the ladder sight bottomed out at the lowest possible setting and shooting from a Caldwell Lead Sled rack minus the ballast weights. The rifle is zeroed on the horizontal axis, but you can see variations in the vertical axis, possibly from recoil. I’m going to add some weight to the rack the next time out and see if there’s any improvement. I added a 2nd strip of Velcro to the buttstock to completely secure the rifle to the rack.

C4DE10B0-3D70-4A1F-A37A-859BD8C17DF6.jpg

So, the question is, where do you set your ladder sight when shooting at 100 yard targets?

Blog Entries

I cannot remember where I had the sight set, but my Winchester using HXP ammo is about a 3 minute gun,
    shooting from a bench, front of the stock on a rest, my left hand holding the sling at the rear swivel,

when I went prone, just normal sling on the arm, it opened up about an inch (To 4" group) at 100

Last one I owned was a Winchester. Barrel was close to a sewer pipe. With common 150 gr. FMJ's, it shot about 4 inch five shot groups. This was firing from a good solid benchrest with proper sandbags, etc. However, it was suggested that I should try it with 180 gr. bullets. So, I loaded up 100 rds. using 180 gr. Hornady round nose bullets. Also I fiddled a bit with the bedding. End result was that thing went to shooting under 2 inches for five shots. Ten shots would stay under 3 inches. Got to think that if the barrel had not been so rough it would have given wonderful results. Really liked it a lot. Great for deer hunting. However, at that benighted time of my life, I was only really interested in 03 and 03-A3 rifles. So ... that Winchester went on down the road. Oh well. Live and learn. Sincerely. bruce.

PS. One thing that made this Winchester shoot very much better involved some toothpicks. I took two very hard round toothpicks, the sort that are pointed on both ends, and used them to improve the bedding a bit. I thought the rifle would shoot a bit better if it had a smidgen of upward pressure on the muzzle end of the barrel. So, I flattened two toothpicks into a long thin wedge, cut the opposite end off flat and then drove them in about a 1/4 inch off center to the right and left side of the barrel. Result was groups became nice and round and group size went consistently under 2 inches. When I whomped up some fiendishly accurate hot shot super marksman grade ammo - - - the rifle started bunching five shot iron sighted groups under 1.5 inches with pleasing regularity. Just a delightfully accurate rifle . . . even if it did have an odd number of grooves! Sincerely. bruce.
    Last edited by bruce; 08-15-2019 at 11:01.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

2 inches for 5 shots is nothing to sneeze at. Having looked at about 2- x 19017 barrel with boroscope they are all rough.

I don't suppose you have a TE gauge? That can separate a non cleaned and ugly vs a serious shot (the only one I have yet to see was a 5 on a 1903 and it will not clean up)

On the other hand with Bore Tech Eliminator and Carbon Killer 2000 I have gleaming 1917 barrels (1.5 or so on the TE so they are pretty well low or un-shot)

Those are cut rifled barrels so they are indeed rough appearance with the scope but clean up to gleaming from a look at the rear.

As of 100 yards I set mine at 100 yards and shoot the bottom of the black. Never did a lot of consistent pattern shooting though 3 inches is kind of the norm.

I don’t have a TE gauge but I have measured the jump gap on my ‘17 and it’s barely measurable. It is an early Winchester with a circle star stamped on the receiver that never made it to Europe because of the parts interchangeability issue. The muzzle shows slight cleaning rod wear but not enough to impact accuracy.

The dealer that I bought my ‘17 from had several ‘17s to choose from and I picked the one with the best corrosion free barrel even though there were external parts missing and internal parts were “worked” on by someone who obviously didn’t have the right replacement parts. I found all the original Winchester NOS parts I needed on the Internet to make the rifle whole once again and it rewards me every time I take it to the range. I’ve been back to the dealer many times looking for an Eddystone or Remington but I haven’t seen any other ‘17s for sale.

My Eddiestone is a Canadian/Danish return(red paint, no arrow) and I really like this rifle. Big,solid and accurate. Here are two of my targets. I don't know why I was at 65 yrds. with the left one. The right was shot using some 180 gr. estate sale reloads. Yes, I buy estate sale reloads and sometimes I get great ammo like this(center to center- 1.5"). 85 yrds is as far back as I can get at this place. I need to play around with bedding I suppose to really get a little more out of it. I also use a Lead Sled. I don't use weights but I have spring gizmo attached to the sled and the front of the table. Oh, and the table is a wobbly buffet table but it seems to work OK. Sights bottomed out.

DSC02383.jpg
    Last edited by dryheat; 08-15-2019 at 07:24.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dryheat View Post
    My Eddiestone is a Canadian/Danish return(red paint, no arrow) and I really like this rifle. Big,solid and accurate. Here are two of my targets. I don't know why I was at 65 yrds. with the left one. The right was shot using some 180 gr. estate sale reloads. Yes, I buy estate sale reloads and sometimes I get great ammo like this(center to center- 1.5"). 85 yrds is as far back as I can get at this place. I need to play around with bedding I suppose to really get a little more out of it. I also use a Lead Sled. I don't use weights but I have spring gizmo attached to the sled and the front of the table. Oh, and the table is a wobbly buffet table but it seems to work OK. Sights bottomed out.

DSC02383.jpg
    does your Canadian\Danish have the cut on the receiver ring?

I don't see anything unusual about the receiver, but I don't have anything else to compare to. I believe the follower has been modified to close on an empty chamber.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dryheat View Post
    I don't see anything unusual about the receiver, but I don't have anything else to compare to. I believe the follower has been modified to close on an empty chamber.
    my Remington (Danish via Canada) has a cut in the receiver ring ,
    looks like a round endmill was used,

rumor was for the points of the bullets to clear,, but that was debunked on the net quickly and I cannot remember the reason why the Dane's did it,

1917001.jpg

Nope, don't have that, but I have this.

DSC02386.jpg