Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: M1917 Stock

Default M1917 Stock

Are M1917 stocks identical to P14 stocks?

2. Default

The magazine well is different.

The reason for my question - There is a minty Winchester M1917 stock, minus the hand guards, being auctioned on EBay that is currently sitting at $400 and it ends today at 2208 hrs eastern. With 10 bidders hammering away, I expect it will go for north of $500. I thought about bidding but there's nothing really wrong with the stock that my M'17 is currently wearing other than its not a W. My rifle shoots accurately so I have no bedding issues. Investing more money, especially when we're getting close to the average value of a M1917 rifle, doesn't make a lot of sense.
    Last edited by Merc; 12-27-2017 at 12:36.

People are putting together all matching part number guns.

Good clean stock of the right mfg if it does not have any marks on it are virtually impossible to find but are the required item if you are presenting a rifle as original.

Frankly its a toss up on mis- characterization (or a fake) or building into something pretty cool.

I saw a bayonet go for $450 that was purported to be original, it was not, so its a buyer beware and some proof of provanance.

The original P14 stock was a different animal with volley sight and different profile. When the P14s were rearsenaled surplus M1917stocks were used. If memory serves the Brits had started to loose interest and did not invest in a lot of replacement wood. My rearsenaled P14 is done so. I’ve had both apart and swapped stocks and each worked on the other. An original P14 stock in good shape brings stupid money.

The Winchester M1917 minty stock up for auction on eBay sold for an astounding $670.

Wow. Thats ridiculous. I bought a Winchester M1917 for 700.00! It seems that's a better business to sell it by parts than complete...

H Quiles, I also bought mine for that price. To see the stock on eBay, look under "M1917 Winchester stock" and go to "Sold Listing" on the left column. It's not posted yet. Probably will be later today.

The stock appears to be in unused condition with a small W stamped on the side and a W 20 on the front tip. (Not sure what the 20 means.) It also has a good eagle inspector's stamp. There's only one handling ding on the side near the small W stamping, but it's really big and deep and (believe it or not) probably suppressed the final selling price. Now that it sold for $670 with the ding, what's a perfect W stock worth?
    Last edited by Merc; 12-28-2017 at 03:43.

Hmmm I sold several M1917s complete for not more than that this year. Someone wanted that W stock and someone else kind of wanted it.

P246, I watched the final few minutes of the eBay auction. There were 10 or more bidders going back and forth. I checked to see who won after it was all over and it was someone who had only one bid. He was a sniper who placed the winning bid with only a few seconds left.