Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by aintright View Post
    Wasting my time I know , but will try to clue you in , you can get a good flavor from a sip and a fraction of the consumption will get you were a mug of chugging will get you with that rot gut you are talking about .
    And last I heard , most of the shiet people are smoking these days is coming from with in our borders , so I reckon that must mean it's home grown ?
    Kenneth
    Yep.... wastin yer time allright

I was stationed in s.e. Texas for a couple of years. I did have an opportunity to try some real moonshine. As I recall I was expecting the worst, but the shot was about like tequila. Really not bad and it was one of those experiences we remember from our youth. The weed around the neighborhood came from Mexico, just your average stuff. Thirty years of crop cross breeding has brought out some scary potent pot. I tried, didn't like it. I sure wouldn't mess with today's offerings.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

leftyo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dryheat View Post
    I was stationed in s.e. Texas for a couple of years. I did have an opportunity to try some real moonshine. As I recall I was expecting the worst, but the shot was about like tequila. Really not bad and it was one of those experiences we remember from our youth. The weed around the neighborhood came from Mexico, just your average stuff. Thirty years of crop cross breeding has brought out some scary potent pot. I tried, didn't like it. I sure wouldn't mess with today's offerings.
    there is some good shine out there, that stuff that bites you is not good.

Never had good shine, in Thailand they make some up north in the golden triangle, good for washing out cuts. In southern India they make it out of the coconut tree wine it's called Feeny and will set you on your ass. In Alaska in a town called Hyder it's called Everclear and the stuff I had made locally also tasted rough.

Maybe the southern stuff is good?

KTK

Well, Everclear's been around well, forever. Good for washing out cuts. Or as a basis for all kinds of drinks if you want to invest in $70 worth of liquors and spices. Now there's Devils cuts and Angels cut and Dead Baby Seals Tears(OK, I made that up, but a cool name huh?).
    I see MS(an acronym I just learned today) in the grocery store. I doubt that is anywhere near the stuff Bubba put on Jed Clampetts truck. Oh, and to lead this off on a tangent, MS was kind of what started the whole industry of racing as we know it today, or as it was in 1955.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by dryheat View Post
    Oh, and to lead this off on a tangent, MS was kind of what started the whole industry of racing as we know it today, or as it was in 1955.
    Bonnie and Clyde's last stolen car was a 1934 Ford with the V8 to outrun the police. The old bootleggers or whiskey runners all used the fastest cars for the same reasons usually getting away with it. As the police caught up with the times and started getting faster cars the moonshiners stayed one step ahead of them by developing faster cars and the story goes on and on till they started racing on dirt tracts and then into a profession but you probably all know more about this than I.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Bonnie and Clyde's last stolen car was a 1934 Ford with the V8 to outrun the police. The old bootleggers or whiskey runners all used the fastest cars for the same reasons usually getting away with it. As the police caught up with the times and started getting faster cars the moonshiners stayed one step ahead of them by developing faster cars and the story goes on and on till they started racing on dirt tracts and then into a profession but you probably all know more about this than I.
    NASCAR and Junior Johnson....

Last edited by JB White; 12-23-2017 at 12:33.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

8. Default

In my part of the world moonshine is common if you know folks. $20.00 dollars a quart for white the last I heard. Apple pie and strawberry are popular at this time of year for Christmas gifts.
    Many people, like my teetotaler wife swear that a tablespoon of white, lemon juice, and honey is the best medicine for cold and flu fevers.
    Local sheriff just recently busted a liquor still. They kept the still for display because it was so well made. There are some small, legal distilleries in the area now with the owners having family traditions going back generations.
    Last edited by bonnie; 12-23-2017 at 10:53.

Dallas, TX metro.. formerly Phoenix metro, AZ

I was at a veterans reunion about 10years back and two good ole boys from KY showed up. they both had shine. One tasted worse then lighter fluid, the other one was smooth as silk and quite good.
    BTW...It was illegal to make beer until 1978 I believe (at least in MN). I started making beer in 1990. two guys from work taught me how. I entered a contest and took 2nd place years ago on a Trappist Ale Dubbel that Michael Jackson the Irish beer connoisseur (not the gay singer) thought I had cloned Chimay yeast which is quite a complement.
    Right now, I actually had cloned an ORVAL and it is to die for. I can't afford to buy it as it is 7 to 10 bucks for one 11.2 OZ bottle. I made 50 bottles for roughly 60 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by RED View Post
    Moonshine

Do you know a moonshiner? Moonshine has been outlawed for two hundred or more years… not for health reasons and not because it is a dangerous item to consume, but because it is a tax issue. The Fed’s love alcohol because they tax the dickens out of it. I had no idea though how popular moonshining is as a hobby in todays world.

I can go down to my local grocery store and buy a 750 ML bottle of Gem Clear 180 proof, legal, tax paid, alcohol for $14. I have a friend that can use his still and produce 750 ML of 180 proof for somewhere around $30. HELLO! He does it because it is his hobby and a science and not to avoid taxes… You can’t drink 180 proof and (I am told) it tastes like sheet. He makes a product that is 100 proof, and then “oaks,” or ages it on toasted oak chips for at least 3 days. He is doing this not to avoid taxes, not to make money, he is doing it because it is chalenging and fun and there are recipes for panty dropping shine...

The TV shows about todays moonshiners are mostly hype and BS, but there are thousands of hobbyists out there that are breaking an archaic law that should exempt individuals that produce for their own consumption.

Go to http://homedistiller.org/forum/ and read up on the hobby… You can read 24/7 for the next six months then you can do it yourself!

How many people are doing this? A proof and tralle hydrometer is only used in distilling. Look it up on eBay. The first 2 listings show over 8,500 of them have been sold in the last month.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...l&_sacat=14308

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...r&_sacat=14308
    You are mistaken. Making your own boose is not illegal, perfectly legal UNTIL you sell it without paying the tax. My father did it back during prohibition, he even served it to guests but never sold it! (beer only)
    I mis-spoke, if father did it during probation it was illegal, but not after Repeal.
    Last edited by dave; 12-24-2017 at 05:58.
    You can never go home again.