Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Starting to reload 45 ACP

I've reloaded for years, but the .45 is new to reload, not shoot. Last time I shot it was for my Uncle Sammy, and he provided all the hardball I needed. I've reloaded pistol lead and rifle jacked and lead.

I see a lot of plated, or maybe more properly "washed" pistol bullets for lead. Are they loaded with the same data as regular lead, or are there differences to consider? Pros and cons?

Thanks in advance.

I would use the lead data for these bullets. I us AA #5 powder and cast my own lead bullets for practice.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

Blog Entries

Thank you, but the question was for familiarity with plated blets

Use load data for the bullet weight.

I've loaded the Berry's Plated 185 gr and 220 gr bullets for .45 ACP. Just use the standard load data for jacketed bullets based on bullet weight for these.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

leftyo Guest

plated bullets, use data for lead.

"...I've reloaded pistol lead..." If those were pistol cartridges vs revolver, you've loaded a .45. Same techniques for any semi-auto. Taper crimp only and as little as possible. Plus the OAL matters.
    "...loaded with the same data as regular lead..." Yep. Plated bullets are not jacketed. No using standard jacketed loads.
    "...more properly "washed"..." Nope. There are plated, coated and painted cast bullets. Personally think they've caused more trouble than they fixed.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Difference is normally negligible between cast and jacketed bullets of same weight and configuration in .45 ACP loads. Here is example from Hodgdon online data -

Bullet 230 GR. LRN
    ----------------------------Starting Loads -----Maximum Loads
    Brand Powder Bullet Diam. COL Grs. Vel. Pressure Grs. Vel. Pressure
    Winchester 231 .452" 1.200" 4.3 699 12,200 CUP 5.3 834 16,900 CUP

Bullet 230 GR. HDY FMJ FP
    ----------------------------Starting Loads -----Maximum Loads
    Brand Powder Bullet Diam. COL Grs. Vel. Pressure Grs. Vel. Pressure
    Winchester 231 .451" 1.200" 4.2 751 13,800 CUP 5.3 832 16,800 CUP

Consequently, no significant difference likely with plated bullets of solid configuration. One maker offers this advice at https://www.berrysmfg.com/faq#FAQ5 -
    You can use published load data for lead/cast bullets or low to mid-range FMJ data, as long as it is the same weight bullet. Berry's offers our standard plate bullets which can handle velocities up to 1,250 fps and 1,500 fps for our Thick Plate (TP) versions.
    Be aware of seating depth differences with hollow-cavity bullets, which may have to be seated deeper than solid bullets of same weight at same COL, reducing powder volume significantly in relatively short cases like .45 ACP. and raising pressure given same charge.

Frankly, at the relative low velocities normal for .45 ACP, we see little practical advantage to plated bullets unless shooting where ordinary cast bullets are environmentally unacceptable.

Blog Entries

Thanks all...I also think the plating and painting just confuse thongs... I want to reload and shoot lead but there are deals to be had with plated...maybe that reflects slow moving inventory.

I was really shocked at the price of all primers. I'm now running low, last time I bought bricks they were only a penny apeace.

To get the best deals I buy is as large a quantity as I can. 5,000 cases and at least 8 lb of powder to save on shipping cost. As soon as my powder magazine gets here I plan on buying 50lbs of black powder for the season, the magazine will be stored in a separate building up the hill under a popular tree to help control heat.
    Sam
    Last edited by S.A. Boggs; 12-20-2017 at 03:44.