Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. Default

Hi Fred. Very nice rifle! Still haven’t figured out how to private message on this new format. Interested in the rifle if for sale.
    Mike Raborn

Here is an older photo of this rifle. I kept this rifle as my favorite.
    I've never even fired it. Nor have I oiled the stock. The finish is original and old.
    When I Finaly freed up the frozen rear trigger guard screw using lighter fluid and a tight fitting Model 1879 combo tool in a pair of vise grips (no corrosion, just frozen for a Century), I gently lifted the action from the stock and found some very thin shavings of wood from the stock inletting that appeared to have been trapped underneath the receiver and against the wood. I believe that the receiver of this rifle hadn't been removed from the stock since the day this rifle was assembled at Springfield Armory around August of 1918.
    That's pretty neat.

IMG_0810.jpg
    Last edited by Fred; 12-18-2017 at 06:25.

And... just for the Memories, here are photos of the other four rifles that were sold first.

IMG_0809.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_0811.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think that I ever fired any of these rifles. Just never got around to it...

The rifle with the polished bolt and the convex hand guard in the large photo below is a Mint 1920 National Match.

- - - Updated - - -

This is one that I almost had some 30-03 ammo made up for by Buffalo Arms, but that never got off the ground...

IMG_0813.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fred; 12-18-2017 at 05:16.

There are other photos of other 03's that were sold, but this rifle is my favorite.
    The Last of The Mohicans...

IMG_0810.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kragrifle View Post
    Hi Fred. Very nice rifle! Still haven’t figured out how to private message on this new format. Interested in the rifle if for sale.
    Mike Raborn
    Mike, I shouldn't and therefore won't give you any idea what I'm wanting for the rifle and other stuff I'm throwing in with it. That'd be sidestepping the Selling forum here.
    Thanks very much though Mike.
    The rifle will go up on Gunbroker (or Guns International) I guess as most of the other 03's did. I've got to take photos of everything first. I think that it'll be an interesting grouping of stuff that somebody will want to buy. Whenever the heck I try to sell it. All Minty WWI stuff.
    I just thought that I'd run it by some of you guys here to let you know about it going on. I've been told before... "Well you never told Me you were selling this!"
    I'll let everyone know when it goes up.
    Last edited by Fred; 12-18-2017 at 02:17.

Here's some of what I'm combining as a group.

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 1563621 View Post
    Very Nice. I think you will have no problem selling!
    Thank you! I hope it goes well.

I'll have no reason to keep this scope mount and scope anymore without an 03, so I think I'll sell it all with the rifle.
    This Minty 1903 is a neat set up with this scope and Belding and Mull mount that requires no drilling or tapping on the rifle.

IMG_1889.jpg
    Last edited by Fred; 12-22-2017 at 10:47.

This rifle would be a tack driver in the hands of a Rifleman who knew his business.

IMG_1872.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The Belding and Mull scope mount is a newly machined copy of that rare type. That wasn't cheap to have made at the time 30 plus years ago. I forget what I paid for it so long ago. I think $100.00. I can't even remember the name of the mount right at this moment...
    This wouldn't be cheap to have a competent fellow make today.

IMG_1881.jpg

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by Fred; 12-22-2017 at 10:52.