Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question on correct stock for Smith-Corona 03-A3

Gentlemen:
    Just received from Gunbroker Smith-Corona 03-A3 ser. # 4726xxx. Appears to be have been seldom fired. Many parts are incorrect but like new. Also is wearing a Bishop sporter wood stock.
    My plan is to return to military configuration. What stock would be acceptable? If and when it was re-arsenaled would incorrect new parts be used? Even a SA J5 bolt? Should leave as is or search for all correct S-C parts? Thanks in advance

It will be a "labor of love" to restore it. All the parts are available. The correct SC stock will be the hardest to find ( and the most expensive ).

Lenny - what are the barrel markings behind the front sight? Any idea of the condition of the bore?
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

Barrel is SC 7/43. I looked on vishooter believe that is correct. Bore is 4 groove, I would call excellent. I don't have gauges.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    Gentlemen:
    Just received from Gunbroker Smith-Corona 03-A3 ser. # 4726xxx. Appears to be have been seldom fired. Many parts are incorrect but like new. Also is wearing a Bishop sporter wood stock.
    My plan is to return to military configuration. What stock would be acceptable? If and when it was re-arsenaled would incorrect new parts be used? Even a SA J5 bolt? Should leave as is or search for all correct S-C parts? Thanks in advance
    Answers are as follows:

(1) The correct stock for your rifle would be pin-reinforced.

(2) Yes.

(3) Yes.

(4) That's a personal decision.

Good Luck!

J.B.

Thanks for the info Mr. Beard. Your expertise is nothing short of incredible!

eBay is the source I used for NOS parts for my 03-A3. A nice pinned stock might take a while to show up.

Thank you Sir

A pinned stock for your SC is on eBay under “03-A3 Stocks” right now. Current bid is $75 with 9 days to go. There’s a piece of wood missing from the area near the butt plate. Otherwise, it appears to be in nice shape. You’ll see several others as well.

www.trfindley.com

The above guy in GA is a stock refinisher. Perhaps he can repair the damaged area. He also has some information on 03-A3 stocks. Go to his site and click on “Link to stock restoration” and then click on “Link to M1903 stock identification guide.”

You didn’t say if your rifle was blued or parkerized. Mine was parkerized and some of the parts I bought on eBay (barrel band, butt plate and extractor) were bare or blued. I sent them to East Coast Bluing to be parkerized so they would match the rest of the rifle and they did a nice job for a fair price. They blued some parts for my M1917 that also turned out well.
    Last edited by Merc; 09-09-2018 at 08:55.

TR Findley also provided "restored" markings on stocks - I wouldn't recommend him.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis