Default value and info on GI issue 1911

I have a friend who is not a gun guy. He was telling me that he has a pistol that his great grandfather carried in WWI and that his grandfather carried in WWII, so I asked for pictures. The pictures are not the best, but it is the WWI version of the 1911. It also has the two tone mag with lanyard loop. It is in fair conditions as far as the finish goes and he says it will still shoot, even though he only shot it once to see if it worked. Here is the crazy thing. In one of the pictures you can see the "US Property" and other markings, but the serial number surprised me. The serial number is 135. Thats right, three digits. I had him go home and remove the firing pin stop and it has the 135 under it as well. Is a GI 1911 with a number that low rare? Is it worth a lot because it is so low? When would it have been made? Any info would be great.
    Thanks.
    "In God We Trust"

The serial numbers were not put under the firing pin stop plate until serial number 710001. The serial number and UNITED STATES PROPERTY were not on the same side of the receiver until the 500000 serial number range.

Something's wrong.

He said the number was under the firing pin stop, but did not see it for myself. I wonder if he did not look and just said it was there. I have seen the picture with the serial number 135 on it, but it was a close up ,so I could not tell which side it was on.
    "In God We Trust"

Normally on the right, so if on the left it is even worse.