Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hunting - any luck?

I hunted about 10 days this year, as did my son and hunting buddy and all we got to show for it was tag soup.

How about you?

KTK

2. Default

Elk-hunting-in-Colorado.jpg

Hunting this year was really good and fun filled.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ken The Kanuck View Post
    I hunted about 10 days this year, as did my son and hunting buddy and all we got to show for it was tag soup.

How about you?

KTK
    what game were you hunting.?

3. Default

Sir Francis Spikington

standard.jpg

PD

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ddiwd View Post

- - - Updated - - -

What unit? Archery?

"...all we got..."S'why it's called hunting and not shopping. snicker.
    Spelling and grammar count!

I went up to hunt with my brother in the Mex Mountain area above the Lochsa River in Idaho. His hunting ground. It was also ground zero for wolf re-introduction and has never been the same. As usual, no animals were harmed. This year we did get enough snow to track - and saw hardly any tracks either. A big storm blew in and we beat it out after a week. I went back alone to check out the Higgins Hump area where locals told us some people got elk.

I rode that whole area scouting on my bicycle, hunted where it looked likely.elk_hunter_2017a.jpg

I ran into a big camp of locals who were sitting around the fire in the middle of the day complaining about their luck. The only elk tracks I saw were at fan Saddle, a couple big animals heading for the farm country below. Higgins Hump was kind of weird - you could see city lights in Grangeville, about 50 miles away from where I camped those 2 nights. My own take is the only reason someone got an elk there was it was close enough to the highway below it got more hunting pressure.

I did some deer hunting around Sandpoint. The only decent deer I saw was a fat doe in an area that had a few houses.

That was the hunt that was.

jn

I wanted a whitetail yearling for the freezer. Whitetails are overpopulated in my local area and I am lucky enough to own a 57 acre strip of prime wooded hunting ground situated located betwen a row crop farm on one side and a dairy farm on the other. I, don't/can't bow hunt and rifle season is only about 10 or 11 days. The first 4 days were spoiled because the row crop guy decided he needed to combine his soy beans. But, I managed to get a little 7 point buck and my son baged a doe. I still have a doe tag rhat I might fill in the BP season... depends on the weather and whether or not I feel like field stripping the sucker... it gets harder and messier every year.
    Last edited by RED; 12-12-2017 at 01:21. Reason: typo

Hunted an island in the Mississippi on opening day of rifle season with my son. He killed a big ten pointer, I still have a tag. Might use the tag during black powder season if the weather cooperates.

Quote Originally Posted by ddiwd View Post

- - - Updated - - -

That is beautiful, well done and congrats. We were hunting mulies and a immature bull moose if we are ever lucky enough to see one. We all put in for moose and elk draws but none of us got drawn. We all put in for a muley antlerless but only I got a draw but I couldn't fill it. All the fires up this way destroyed a lot of our favourite hunting grounds. We saw a fair amount of deer but either we couldn't get a shot off or they were not legal. The hunting regs. up here are pretty complex. In Sept. it's 4 point or better (we only count one side where what is a 4 point to us would be an 8 point in the States) then October is any bone and then Nov. and Dec. is back to 4 point. Unless you get a moose draw in our area you can only take what is called an immature bull, 2 points or less on 1 side and elk in our areas are all draw. My buddy and I were up high in Nov. looking for an antlerless and ran across a couple of beautiful 3 point bucks, a dream shot 75 yards away and broad side, but no matter how hard we counted we could not get them to grow an additional point.

Congrats to all that hunted and even more to those who have meat in the freezer.

KTK

I got a nice older 8 point Buck toward the end of rifle season. We saw a lot of does early on and passed as we were hunting for a 14 point we had seen. He only showed up after dark hence why he's still around. The old 8 came out with 7 does about 10 minutes before shooting hours were over. I put a tag on him a few minutes later

Next Afgernoon I used up my two doe tags, and my hunting buddy also tagged one. I donated one of the does and processed the buck and second doe.

I want to get some more duck hunting in but the season was terrible early on. Hopefully it ends better.