Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Does this happen to you?

Went to bed @ 2200 now woke up at 0200, can't go back to sleep. If I feel tired might take a 20 minute cat nap this afternoon in my recliner. I had been using Ambien, still have some but decided to get off the stuff about two weeks ago. Was getting 8-10 hours of sleep with Ambien and decided to stop taking it.
    Sam

Yes. That's why I'm up now! I used to get 5 to 6 solid hours of sleep per night. Now I get about 4 hours and need to hit the head. I'll go 6 to 7 hours of sleep once or twice a week.
    For years I was up at 430 am for work. Once I retired I could sleep in until 6. It's nice when that happens.
    If I stay busy I won't need a cat nap. I too like my recliner. Ambien....sounds to me like Jim Beam works better
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    Yes. That's why I'm up now! I used to get 5 to 6 solid hours of sleep per night. Now I get about 4 hours and need to hit the head. I'll go 6 to 7 hours of sleep once or twice a week.
    For years I was up at 430 am for work. Once I retired I could sleep in until 6. It's nice when that happens.
    If I stay busy I won't need a cat nap. I too like my recliner. Ambien....sounds to me like Jim Beam works better
    Makers Mark or Napoleon Brandy.
    Sam

Nope. But I can tell you exactly when I'll wake up. I sleep for 6 hours and my bladder says, "Hey you!" Kind of suspect the fistful of meds I have for breakfast matters some too though.
    2200 is probably too early. However, it's well known that those of us who are full grown don't require as much sleep as those who are not full grown. Only real issue is worrying about it. That's not good for you.
    That "20 minute cat nap" runs about an hour or so for me. Bought the couch I have exactly for that purpose. The original plan was Saturday and Sunday afternoons, but one must adapt. snicker.
    Oh and it's red wine from Bordeaux.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    I sleep for 6 hours and my bladder says, "Hey you!"
    From working at a refinery we call this the high level alarm.

I have the same problem with the naps on the couch and it's simply a Miller Lite for me.

After 19 years of rotating shift work + forced overtime and averaging 4-5 hours sleep per day/night my health is wrecked and now since I've retired I sleep way too much.

It may just be an age problem since most of us seem to suffer from it. I do find that the worst thing that I can do is have a nap in the afternoon because that throws off my sleep cycle and that second worst thing is to have tea or coffee after about 3:00 pm because guarantees that I'll be up in the middle of the night. In addition for the last six weeks I have been in post-operative recovery mode (from a full knee replacement) and when my pain killers wear off, I wake up, often in some discomfort.

As a completely unrelated aside, for those who are wondering about how the Canadian Medical System handled the surgery, I met with the surgeon a week before I went to Europe for a month. We decided that the knee replacement was needed and he was able to set the date for two weeks after I returned home. Turned out that the hospital had been trying to reach me for two weeks to get the pre-op process underway and that they needed a week for the mandatory tests and training sessions. Bottom line, virtually no delay except that caused by my being out of the country. The big change since my last knee replacement 6 years ago is that they now discharge you after one night instead of after 4 nights. Not a bad system really.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Ottawa View Post
    It may just be an age problem since most of us seem to suffer from it. I do find that the worst thing that I can do is have a nap in the afternoon because that throws off my sleep cycle and that second worst thing is to have tea or coffee after about 3:00 pm because guarantees that I'll be up in the middle of the night. In addition for the last six weeks I have been in post-operative recovery mode (from a full knee replacement) and when my pain killers wear off, I wake up, often in some discomfort.

As a completely unrelated aside, for those who are wondering about how the Canadian Medical System handled the surgery, I met with the surgeon a week before I went to Europe for a month. We decided that the knee replacement was needed and he was able to set the date for two weeks after I returned home. Turned out that the hospital had been trying to reach me for two weeks to get the pre-op process underway and that they needed a week for the mandatory tests and training sessions. Bottom line, virtually no delay except that caused by my being out of the country. The big change since my last knee replacement 6 years ago is that they now discharge you after one night instead of after 4 nights. Not a bad system really.
    Yea, but how's the chow?
    Sam

Since I was diagnosed with diabetes about five years ago, sleep longer than 4 hours at a time has become a luxury. Side effects from the meds, the neuropathy, and the bladder 'thing' just won't allow it. Like others, sleeping in the afternoon throws me way off, but it's just not optional at times, the combination of some of the meds flat put me down at times.

Sam: re Hows the chow? My wife (who somehow knows these things) tells me that a year or so ago, the senior staff of our local hospital were asked to eat the food provided to patients for a couple of days, after which it improved significantly. My recollection was that it was tolerable, no doubt healthy, but not great.

10. Default

you are preaching to the preacher...nobidy got sleeping issue worse than i do, i can't even sleep facing the ceiling, if i do i get sleep paralysis.