1. Default Handling Pressure

I have a chance to buy some, what I think is, current production 30-06 ammo. I know that it is not recommended to shoot in M1 rifles, but will a 1942 Remington 1903 stand up to the use of this type ammo? Thanks.

2. Default

Yes, I have a Rock Island that was made in 1911, it was abused in ways no one could imagine, I purchased it at a barging price because the dealer could not prove the barrel had rifling. One of the most accurate rifles I have is a Remington 03 made in 42.

F. Guffey

I have a Remington 1903A3 with a 1942 barrel. It will safely handle any commercially made or GI issue 30-06 ammo. And as fguffey says it has been abused including firing an 8MM Mauser round.

The Garand has restrictions because it is a gas operated system.

4. Default

Thanks fellas. I was pretty sure that it would be ok since a bolt action is different from the gas operated rifles. And since I have already committed to buying it, I can relax now.

Shooting the ammo you are considering buying in a Garand is NOT a safety issue, its a operational issue. Current production ammo should be safe in any good condition rifle chambered for it.
    You can never go home again.

+1 on what dave said. If it's production military 30-06 or 7.62x63MM Ball ammo, it's produced to match the specifications of all M2 ammo and should be safe in Garands and 1903s.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Whatever the rifle of any vintage or parts, check the headspace before yanking the trigger with ANY ammunition, especially a rifle with unknown history.