Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by jmm03 View Post
    Vern, pardon my ignorance (and not to derail the thread) but could you explain the azimuth location method briefly please? Thanks, Jim
    You have a map and compass. You shoot an azimuth to each illumination round (that is, measure the angle). You know where the illumination rounds are bursting, and from each you plot the back azimuth.

For example, suppose one bursts due South from you. From the point on the map where it burst, you draw a line going North. Another one bursts due West. From that point, you draw a line going due East. A third one bursts Southeast of you. You draw a line from that point going Northwest.

The three lines will intersect at a point -- and that's where you are.

Thanks Vern, I thought it had something to do with triangulation relative to the map position,I wasn't getting the relation to the illumination. Jim

3. Default

When you have well trained crews under commanders who subordinate everything else to training, you can do such things.
    There were the problems in Vietnam of requiring different ammunition for the rifle and machine gun,
    admittedly due to the often dense foliage the troops often left their M-16s on full auto, using them the way the Soviets used their PPSh and PPS submachine guns in WWII.

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawknj View Post
    When you have well trained crews under commanders who subordinate everything else to training, you can do such things.
    There were the problems in Vietnam of requiring different ammunition for the rifle and machine gun,
    admittedly due to the often dense foliage the troops often left their M-16s on full auto, using them the way the Soviets used their PPSh and PPS submachine guns in WWII.
    I charged $50 for firing an M16 full auto, and taught my troops how to shoot in combat.