Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Krag carbine - please help!!!

I have been offered this Krag Carbine for $200.
    I am trying to find out as much as I can about these rifles.
    I would like to know whether it looks to be in original configuration based upon these photos.
    I am supposed to get additional photos tomorrow but this is what I have so far.
    The front part of the stock looks different from the others I have seen on the internet.
    I believe it is an 1896 Model.
    Any info would be appreciated.
    Also is there anything in particular I should look for when I inspect the rifle in person?
    Please help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Looks like a cut down rifle with a 1903 springfield front sight installed. if the bore is good i'd buy it for $200 .

Authentic carbines do NOT have sling swivels!
    Authentic carbines do NOT have front sights that wrap around the barrel.
    ‘Nuff said??? —Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    Authentic carbines do NOT have sling swivels!
    Authentic carbines do NOT have front sights that wrap around the barrel.
    ‘Nuff said??? —Jim
    All true, but that is nice and clean, and easily worth $200, maybe even $300, but that would be tops. Definitely a shooter as opposed to a collectible, however.

Or, as many do now a days, a basis for building back to original. New full length barrels are available, and the forestock.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

Thank you for all of your input. I was hoping to buy it as a collectible.
    I would buy it as a shooter but the ammo is obscenely expensive.
    So I decided to let it go.
    Thank you again.

That's what reloading is for... As long as you aren't planning to shoot hundreds of round a day, you can get into a Lee hand press and dies with a dipper measure for less than $50-60. Keep your loads reasonable and the brass will last forever.

I'd reconsider - that is a VERY clean specimen - well worth restoring. $200 usually buys nothing more than a scabby POS full of scope-mount holes and with a battered stock. Whoever owns it obviously has NO idea what he has. There is virtually NO wear on the gun - even though, admittedly, it is not in collector configuration.

I agree with Mr. Hosmer . . . .
    $200 for that Krag is a goood buy . . . for a “shooter”.
    I’d take it into the whitetail woods and pot a deer with her.
    Those sling swivels are begging for a sling, and the entire rifle wants to take a walk in the woods!

I also agree 100%! Buy it and go bag a deer. This would be a great candidate for restoration, as well as a very inexpensive introduction to Krags and all of their quirks. You could certainly do a lot worse!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo