Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 870 Mk 1

1. Default 870 Mk 1

Thoughts? Not a lot of information, or pictures.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/721870035
    "There's a race of men that don't fit in,
    A race that can't stay still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
    And they roam the world at will." - Robert Service

2. Default

Can't read the serial number. The finish bothers me. Maybe reparked. And I don't like the way the bayonet adaptor fits.

3. Default

Would a real military have a mod barrel?

I'd like to looks at stamps under magnification. Feels like a repark to me but when I try to blow the picture up to look at the stamps it pixels out. We had some that we traded a few years ago. Two had been rack spares their entire life's. They still had scuffs in the park just from being handled during inventory and getting moved around. I can not remember for sure but I thought ours were cylinder bore barrels, memory might be off on that though.
    Last edited by p246; 12-06-2017 at 05:58.

5. Default

This GB listed 870 Mk.1 is suspect, as has been previously noted by above posts.

Other things that should be noted on this listing:

- Barrel looks to be a bit too long (1/4"-1/2") for the proper 21' USMC barrel.

- Parkerizing, as others have noted in this post looks too new, and is to "grey" - should be a "grey/green" - like M1 Garands, etc. Ans, after 60 years, should have some mottling/discoloration on finish - even if well cared for.

- Front Sight Base, mounted on Bayonet Adaptor, is too high - whoever did this din't do his homework - top of sight base needs to be milled lower to match USMC front sight base.

- Butt Plate - looks to be added - not contoured or matching to original stock profile.

- The Bayonet Adaptor/Barrel Sleeve is legit - but probably start life as the Remington manufactured (for U.S. military) "1005-NC 067910 LGG, Bayonet Adaptor Kit, DAAF-03-72-C-1639, A/B 9/72". These kits had a Bead Sight mounted on the Barrel Clamping Sleeve, but a standard period M870 Rifle Sight Barrel ramp/base can be easily soldered on to create the USMC "rifled sight" profile - but the sight base has to be milled to the proper height (as per USMC specs).

I have pics of the final pattern M870 Mk.1, as stored in the Remington factory "Archives", Ilion, NY - will post when I find the time.

Cheers!

No such thing. The guy bought a bunch of aftermarket bits and put 'em on an old 870. The guy should've put the box mag conversion on too. Still not worth 2 grand.
    "..."grey/green"..." No such thing as green Parkerizing. Any green tinge is the result of long term storage in Cosmoline. M1 Rifles were manganese based Parkerized. Black, not grey. Grey Parkerising is zinc base.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Originals had MOD barrels.

Sorry to revive an old thread...

Currently building a MK I like shotgun.

Pictures here.....

http://www.jouster2.com/forums/showt...553#post616553

I think I have parts that match the "silhouette" but dont know enough to ensure I am getting the exact parts.....I dont think I need to find exact either but Id like to be close.

Just got a barrel Im going to use yesterday - a 30 inch slug with the old buckhorn sights.

I will be needing to cut it to correct length.

I just bought Canfields book - hoping it has the datum info that will allow me to get the barrel length right.

Any help would be appreciated.

9. Default

The barrels on the MkI shotguns were 21" with a Modified bore.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Doniphon View Post
    The barrels on the MkI shotguns were 21" with a Modified bore.
    21 inch from bolt face? 21 inch from the side of the barrel without the extension?

Unsure if my barrel is modified or not its only marke for 2-3/4 shells.