Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Collecting to start loading 6.5 Creedmoor.

Early Christmas package arrived from Brownell's today.

Redding type S die set in 6.5
    Redding instant headspace reader and bullet comparater.
    200 Lapua cases
    200 Hornady 147 gr ELD Match bullets
    Wilson headspace and case guage.

Fed Ex is supposed to drop off a case of 130 gr GMM tomorrow.

Got plenty of Varget on the shelf so I guess I will be starting with that powder.

Now I need to find my small rifle match primers. Been using large rifle so long I will have to dig them out. I know for sure there are a few thousand in the stash.

Semper Fi
    Art

Be an interesting project. H4350 worked in my 260 better than Varget, but H4350 is very hard to find. I got very good groups with Varget just not enough speed. H4831 ran well, H414 ran well till it got hot out then it got spiky. You running a 1 in 8 or 1 in 7.5...my 1 in 8 likes ELDs from 123 to 140. Have not tried the 147s yet.

Quote Originally Posted by p246 View Post
    Be an interesting project. H4350 worked in my 260 better than Varget, but H4350 is very hard to find. I got very good groups with Varget just not enough speed. H4831 ran well, H414 ran well till it got hot out then it got spiky. You running a 1 in 8 or 1 in 7.5...my 1 in 8 likes ELDs from 123 to 140. Have not tried the 147s yet.
    1 in 8.

leftyo Guest

had the same thing in my 260 on H414 run along just fine, once stuff got hot it would get big pressure spikes.

Well, after working up a load with Varget, I found that 33.6 gr works very well with the 147 OTMs. For my purposes 2450 fps will do for now. Doing just about .25 for 5 rnd groups at 100 yds for the testing. Had 4 - 5 rnd groups with the same .25
    results . Half a grain either side and the groups opened up to .75.
    Loaded up 75 rnds of that load today and hope to get some decent weather in the next few days for a little more playing.

Quote Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
    Well, after working up a load with Varget, I found that 33.6 gr works very well with the 147 OTMs. For my purposes 2450 fps will do for now. Doing just about .25 for 5 rnd groups at 100 yds for the testing. Had 4 - 5 rnd groups with the same .25
    results . Half a grain either side and the groups opened up to .75.
    Loaded up 75 rnds of that load today and hope to get some decent weather in the next few days for a little more playing.
    .25 is about as good as it gets and nothing to sneeze at. The charge weight is pretty economical to, about 10 grains less than H4831. I think I was pushing 140 grain stuff in the 2500s with Varget so your results with 147s is right in line. I'm planning to try Reloader 15 in the 260. Should wake it up over H4831. Keep us posted.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by leftyo View Post
    had the same thing in my 260 on H414 run along just fine, once stuff got hot it would get big pressure spikes.
    Yep found out I had to keep em in the shade on hot days. Flat and leaking primers with a popped primer on a hot day had me scratching my head for a minute. Sad part is under 80 degrees it was a fantastic load.

Plenty of different powders to choose from in the shop, but Varget was right on the top of the list from Hornady for the 147s.
    With a Precision Armament brake on the nose of my Steath, the recoil is reduced tremendously. I really like watching the impact of the bullet on a target.

Highly unlikely you'll notice any difference between regular primers and match primers.
    Lapua isn't the only brand that uses small rifle primers. Starline apparently sells both. Only matters that you have one or the other. However, it's alleged that there are pressure differences.
    Spelling and grammar count!

leftyo Guest

.25 is about as good as it gets and nothing to sneeze at. The charge weight is pretty economical to, about 10 grains less than H4831. I think I was pushing 140 grain stuff in the 2500s with Varget so your results with 147s is right in line. I'm planning to try Reloader 15 in the 260. Should wake it up over H4831. Keep us posted.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep found out I had to keep em in the shade on hot days. Flat and leaking primers with a popped primer on a hot day had me scratching my head for a minute. Sad part is under 80 degrees it was a fantastic load.
    same here, when it felt like it , it would blow the primer right out.

Found a case of 205Ms so I am all set for the time being. Haven't even tried to load any of the Lapua yet. I have been having too much fun reloading the Federal brass that came and 140 gr OTMs and that has been with the 210Ms.
    Any changes I make in any component gets a fresh start on the ladder of life.