1. Default .223 Wylde vs. 5.56 loading

Has anyone compared the results from developing loads using a .223 Wylde chamber and then using the same data to load for a 5.56 rifle? I understand the Wylde chamber allows safe firing of 5.56 ammo but can I 'reverse engineer' 5.56 loads using a Wylde chamber, working up loads in the appropriate velocity range?

I had a rifle chambered in .223 Wylde and frankly couldn't document much difference. It was an inherently accurate rifle and was not very Ammo "sensitive." I see no pitfalls as long as you stick with tried and true recipes and appropriate velocities. However, IMHO, a load developed in one rifle may or may not shoot equally well when fired in a different rifle... even one with the Wylde chamber... too many other variables at play.

The Wylde chamber has a longer throat. Same thing otherwise. Mind you, before there was an internet, .223 Rem and 5.56 NATO were interchangeable. Millions of rounds of both were fired out of milsurp and commercial hunting rifles, then reloaded with no fuss whatsoever.
    Spelling and grammar count!

4. Default

The Wylde chamber has a tighter and longer throat than AR15s and they claim this makes it more accurate.

In 1979 the military went from the M193 round at 55,000 psi to the M885 round at 58,700 psi. This is when the SAAMI published their .223/5.56 interchangeability warning for .223 and 5.56 ammunition. Also the throat was also lengthened on the M16 rifles for the newer M885 cartridge. On the flip side of this my Savage .223 rifle with a 1 in 9 twist has a throat longer than M16/AR15 rifles. Many of the newer .223 rifles have a chamber and throat big enough to fit the 5.56 cartridge and have room left over to fit the company lawyer in.

Below it is the older .223 rifles with the shorter throat and 1in12 and 1in14 twist that causes pressure spikes when firing the newer M885 ammunition.

My Remington 700p in 223 will shoot 5.56,but I've yet to find a factory load it shoots well. It shoots .223 factory and handloads very well. It's the one 223 rifle I've had that does not like 5.56 ammunition.