Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The ugliest gun I love

First some dialogue then some pictures. My mentor was a great collector and was a infantry member of the big green machine know as the Berlin Brigade in the early 60s. His name was Joe Rothwell, he was a friend, a fountain of knowledge and move me to collecting WW1WW2, Korea, and Vietnam.....But ...he ...was mainly a friend. I would come over and Joe would drag out 4 or 6 guns and watch me squirm trying to figure what it was. He'd led me he'd tease me and eventually I got most. He would make coffee so strong my tongue rolled up and wouldn't work for minutes. Once he pulled out a beat up Steyr Hahn Model of 1912. He grinned big....bet you don't know what this is....Joe that is a Model of 1912 Steyr Hahn made in 1914 based on stamps.....silence....you know it replaced the Roth M7. Silence. You can have it. What. I'm dead inside three months, you are the only person that ever knew what it was I want you to have it and take care of it like your other stuff. yes sir and I'd be honored....we had went from joking to serious as it can get in 10 seconds.

On the gun:

The gun is a Steyr Hahn Model of 1912'. The year of manufacture was stamped on the left frame at rear. Serial numbers match and are 6269f. Wood grips worn, finish gone, survived pre WW2 German rebuild to 9mm. This is still in its original 9mm Steyr. Gun works and fires when the ammo can be found. One of main pistols used by Austrian Hungarian Empire. By all accounts it was well received and worked great. They had no faith in removable box magazines and stayed with a en bloc type system. Heavy and reliable but no 1911. Pictures:

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_4313.jpgIMG_4314.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_4315.jpgIMG_4316.jpg
    Last edited by p246; 11-22-2017 at 08:09.

As for shooting it the grip angle is a little straight for my liking and one can see the one hand shooting style designed in it. The stripper clips must be polished for the roads to feed. The trigger has little take up but them breaks at 9 lbs. the gun is accurate. The 9mm Steyr is a little anemic but just gets the job done. From the side view it looks like the stripper clip bridge would interfere with sight picture....it does not. It is not as front heavy as I thought it would be, nevertheless it is front heavy.

Life is good with good friends! Well done!

It does have a cock and lock feature like the 1911 since its single action only. Lever up locked, lever down can be fired.IMG_4327.jpgIMG_4328.jpg